MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:21 PM   #1846
Guando
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
It won't be ready until late July.

And speaking of another smoker, I had a woman break down and start crying when I told her we were already booked for our big orders this sunday. That was brutal, so I told her I'd still be able to get her pulled pork and am just bringing in my WSM this weekend to help cook a few more butts.
You are a good man. That stuff is always remembered. Well done.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:39 PM   #1847
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guando View Post
You are a good man. That stuff is always remembered. Well done.
Yeah it is for her husband's 70th birthday. Made her day I'm sure. Couldn't turn that down and be able to sleep at night.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2014, 11:13 PM   #1848
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

A new concept. BBQ Subscriptions. You start the WSM and people come by and pick up what is on it when it is done.

Good to hear thing are stabilizing. I understand your feelings about being a people person. I struggle with that also.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2014, 11:58 PM   #1849
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
It won't be ready until late July.

And speaking of another smoker, I had a woman break down and start crying when I told her we were already booked for our big orders this sunday. That was brutal, so I told her I'd still be able to get her pulled pork and am just bringing in my WSM this weekend to help cook a few more butts.
That's just beautiful brother! That kind of attitude and service is what we need more of!

Pit Happens!

Smokefleet Command
Lang 48 Patio - "Enterprise"
Weber 22.5 Premium Kettle - "Galileo"
Weber SmokeFire EX6 - “Defiant”
thunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-22-2014, 06:26 AM   #1850
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Quote:
Yeah it is for her husband's 70th birthday. Made her day I'm sure. Couldn't turn that down and be able to sleep at night.
Ever wonder how "legends" get started? It's something that was earned not given....nice job!
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2014, 12:51 PM   #1851
swampsauce
Found some matches.

So, I have reached the end of one the best books ever. What a thread! And funny thing is, I am contemplating the same venture. Little bit bigger scale though. Now I have to cipher is bigger better. Great posts marubozo. Sad that I'm at the end. Or maybe the beginning...

Old 05-25-2014, 06:58 PM   #1852
howie
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Well its taken a week but at last I have made all 124 pages - although I can't say I read every post, but all of Jeremy's. Epic thread and a truly valuable insight into starting a business and it brought me to this forum. I guess the most disturbing thing for me is that I still want to this even after reading Jeremy's trials and tribulations.

I definitely think this is just the beginning of the story. As someone looking to do similar (possibly even more of a challenge here in Australia) I am very interested in the setup costs and profit information. I have looked at a lot of businesses but I have never owned a restaurant so please take my comments with a grain of salt. The fact that you are making money with a 38 seat restaurant I think is an amazing effort. In Australia you wouldn't even think if doing a restaurant with a full kitchen with less that 50 seats but 100 is optimal. Obviously the bigger the restaurant the more the economies of scale and the higher the profit margin. 30% is possible I believe but that would almost certainly be excluding the owners wage, interest and tax it drops considerably once you add those things. I would consider a successful business one that makes 10-15% margin after the managers/owners wage and interest expenses.

I think you are going to go from strength to strength adding the new smoker and catering will increase your margins and then I don't think it will be too long before you move to a bigger location.

Keep up the good work.

Oh and if its any help I hear the hours settle down after the first 6 months so by the end of the summer I think you may be able to get more than 4 hours sleep.

Howie
howie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2014, 06:44 PM   #1853
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Thanks. I plan on providing a basic overview of some of the costs involved when I have a little more time. One of the benefits here is that I'm in a very rural and low cost of living area. Property is cheap, rents are low, but you can charge the same amount for the food. If I go five miles across the state line toward South Bend and similar properties would be at least 3x as much, not to mention ridiculous taxes, etc.

In other news, last week was a record week and I'm sure the holiday had something to do with that. We had a ton of people from out of state coming in for the first time. It was amazing to hear people from Chicago and Indy coming in and saying they keep hearing about us and just had to swing by when they made it into town for their vacation.

Also, I know it had to be one of the brethren, but on Saturday while I was out running errands somebody came in and said they drove 600 miles. And that it was worth it. That's all I heard from one of the cashiers when I got back. Bummer I wasn't there to see who this person was.

And Neil stopped in and got his shirt on Friday. Unfortunately, I was completely out of it when he showed up so we didn't get to chat much. Which brings me to another lesson learned. It's easy to get swept up into the restaurant lifestyle and culture. You can only work 12 hours and then stay out until 4 in the morning for so long until it catches up with you. Don't get me wrong, it's a lot of fun and you get to meet a lot of cool people, but being able to find a balance is key.

Oh, and just as a little financial teaser to show how we've grown in the past few months. In February my weekly food bill was averaging around $2700. Lately, it's been close to $7500.

And word must have gotten out about potato salad or something, because all of a sudden that's one of the biggest sellers. I'm doing around 200 pounds of potato salad a week right now. Seems like the prep kitchen is nothing more than a potato and pickle factory for 6 hours a day.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2014, 06:55 PM   #1854
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

We should have a poll - 'I only signed up for BBQ Brethren because of Marubozo.'
You would be shocked at the number of folks who follow you and signed up
myself included. Should get a kickback!
We are living vicariously through you - Jeremy. Like when you had the flood, I put my boots on. While you were shop-vaccing the kitchen!
I was hi and dry! Smoke on!
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2014, 07:03 PM   #1855
HarrynVegas
Full Fledged Farker

Jeremy, mchar69 is right in my case. When I found this site in December this was one of my first threads. Now I'm a member and a Farker. Much credit to you, and many thanks.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:43 PM   #1856
mqvn
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Also just finished reading this entire thread this past weekend... epic story! Congrats and good luck on everything. Hopefully will make it out to SW Michigan someday...
mqvn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2014, 07:22 AM   #1857
Bperkins01
Full Fledged Farker

One of my favorite threads ever - including other forums.. Love this story.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:20 AM   #1858
DaveAlvarado
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Also, I know it had to be one of the brethren, but on Saturday while I was out running errands somebody came in and said they drove 600 miles. And that it was worth it. That's all I heard from one of the cashiers when I got back. Bummer I wasn't there to see who this person was.
At some point I'll have them beat--either this fall, or next spring. I'm planning a motorcycle trip up to the Great Lakes, and you're on my list for a stop. I'll be coming from DFW, TX, that's a little over 1,000 miles.
DaveAlvarado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2014, 08:56 AM   #1859
Mikeinctown
Full Fledged Farker

Potato salad is a summer picnic type food that people associate with grilling and BBQ. Just one possible explanation.
Mikeinctown is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2014, 11:58 AM   #1860
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAlvarado View Post
At some point I'll have them beat--either this fall, or next spring. I'm planning a motorcycle trip up to the Great Lakes, and you're on my list for a stop. I'll be coming from DFW, TX, that's a little over 1,000 miles.
Make sure to bring me some takeout.