Fresh Cut Wood

RavenFever

Found some matches.
Reaction score
If you have access to wood that is fresh cut, how long before it's best to use it??

I let it go a year at least. Mostly cause I have some stocked up.

But the logs will start to crack and pull and it will split easy when it is ready.

It kind of depends. I use fist sized hunks of oak, pecan, and hickory. When split and cut in small hunks and stored in a warm, dry place, I will use them in 4 to 6 weeks. If they are larger pieces, it takes longer. They will dry relatively quick in the summer also but take longer in the winter.

Last year I cut a peach tree down and wanted to use the wood, I had a comp in like 2 weeks so I put some logs in my car for 2 weeks and they dried and worked well when I used them.

What will happen if it's green?

My dad used to soak a couple of hickory chunks in water to make it burn slower when he grilled steaks and they were great.

Burning green wood will produce cresote that will make the food taste nasty. Soaking chunks of wood in water is not the same thing as burning green wood.

Some of the best wood I have used was a green Hickory when cut and split and it was about 7-8 months after that when I used it.

I like to split and chunk mine up and put it in a crate in the garage to let it dry quicker. Seems like they dry out a whole lot quicker that way than in whole or large split log form.

I don't know how many people think about this, but I also use my sawsall or handsaw to cut the splits down to chunk size. I don't want all the oil off the chain saw bar on my smoke wood. Anyone else do that?

I agree with 6-7 months. I have added bark straight from a standing live Hickory tree with no strong taste.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Back