MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)
Default So-I-don-forget yet another time warm and cold smoked salmon

This last Saturday I smoked my usual salmon, but did two batches. My wife requested some cold-smoked salmon. We normally do warm-smoked for the kids' breakfasts (they don't seem to get tired of this), so I ended up doing both. These types of salmon are what you might spread (cold) on crackers, toast or bagels. While it tastes great immediately out of the smoker, a day in the fridge helps the flavor. For those who aren't familiar, in warm smoking, you actually heat up the salmon and cook it, usually to about 140*-150*. The heat source must be above this temp, and I normally try for about 175*. If it is above 200*, you have a very different result as the salmon retains too much moisture. The result is a dry, cooked salmon. I explain the warm-smoking process in this post here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=119317

which gives details on the curing process and the warm-smoking process that we use. There are MANY different ways to do this, but we're comfortable with this one. The only change I made this time was that I did not individually wrap the salmon in cling wrap. This saved time and cling wrap. I did not notice a drop-off in quality, so we'll probably skip this step from now on. I simply spread about half the sugar/salt mixture into the plastic bag that was in the cake pan, lined the salmon pieces on top, and coated them in the rest of the mixture. For the other details, see the above link. What I show below is focused primarily on the cold smoking. If you're interested in the warm smoke, you can go to the above link, but since I was doing this too, I do have a few pics.

I prepared two fires: 1. a low-temp (175*) charcoal fire in the Oval with a chunk of cherry, and 2. a very low temp one from only a couple chunks of crushed cherry branches in my offset:

The branches were pretty dry and they burned better than I had hoped, but that was ok. Cherry smoke is absolutely wonderful to smell. The cured cold-smoked piece was rubbed in EVOO, and one side was covered with dill. Of course there are many ways to do it, but we hadn't done this way in a while, and I just do what I'm told.

That beautiful deep red color is the result of the cure. This is placed in the offset as far from the heat source as possible. With the cold temps, I don't feel bad about smoking this without ice. The temps in the offset were below 80* the entire time.

The cherry smelled so nice from the offset, I put the other salmon in there for about 15 minutes to get some additional smoke:

I then put these in the Oval to finish them:

These took about 2 1/2 hours:

Meanwhile, I cold-smoked this piece for about the same amount of time in the offset. The purpose for this is just to give it smoke. The salmon previously has been cured, remember. The cure is only about 18 hours, so it is not overly salty. It is more like Nova salmon than lox:

Here it is sliced the next day:

(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
Grillman
is One Chatty Farker

I'll bring the Bagels & Cream Cheese...

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillman View Post
I'll bring the Bagels & Cream Cheese...
Me too!
1 - 25 gal. self-made vertical smoker
1 - 120 gal. self-made trailer stick-burner

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=88599
Phrasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Looks delicious!!!!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Fantastic
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2011, 11:00 PM   #6
gtr

Absolutely gorgeous. I smoked my first salmon using Wampus' method recently. I'll have to give these two methods a try - love that stuff!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2011, 03:54 AM   #7
Phubar

Sweet!!!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2011, 06:07 AM   #8
Bbq Bubba

Outstanding!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2011, 06:20 AM   #9
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

Beautiful Gore. Thanks!

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote