MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:42 PM   #1
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Default How much do you cook?

When we compete we cook what I think is a very small amount of meat. 1 brisket and 1 butt, 3 racks of ribs and about 10-12 chicken pieces. I was wondering, for those of you that cook multipul cuts of meat, such as butt and brisket, are you using different smokers and wood, are you cooking different times and temps, different rubs and injections? Or is it simply for backup, like NASA redundancy in the system for unexpected system failure!
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2007, 09:13 PM   #2
Fredbird
is one Smokin' Farker

We cook at least two briskets, two butts, six racks of ribs and fifteen to twenty pieces of chicken. Mostly, just for backup. Every once in a while we will try something different at a comp.
18" WSM
Weber One-Touch Gold
Aussie Gasser
MOFO Chapter
KCBS CBJ

"BEER is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy". - Benjamin Franklin
Fredbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2007, 09:24 PM   #3
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

We double your amounts.

Only "differences" is we put one brisket and one butt to the "warmer" side of the Kingfisher. It seems that the meats cook up about the same anyway.

Each meat group is prepped the same with spices, etc.

No real difference in woods or smoke flavors except we might throw in some fruit woods after the butts and briskets are in foil and the ribs and chicken are starting to cook.

Just gets to complicated for our little minds to manage more variety than that

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2007, 09:25 PM   #4
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

We cook 2 butts, 2 briskets, 3 slabs, and 15 pieces of chicken. Backup is good, but I usually take them to different temps, for example.... pulled pork vs. chopped or sliced.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:07 PM   #5
voodoobbqIL
Full Fledged Farker

We do 2 butts sometimes 3, 2 briskets, and 6 ribs, Chicken you always do a lot of so I say 16 pieces.
Ole' Hickory CTO /
large BGE
2 x Weber 22.5 One Touch Silver (red , black)
Weber Smokey Joe
Char-Broil Gas Passer
voodoobbqIL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2007, 10:18 PM   #6
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You are not cooking nearly enough for a contest. The idea of cooking more is you have a choice of what you turn in. If a brisket did not turn out just right you have one or two more to choose from. Same goes for butt, chicken and ribs. If you only cook 1 brisket or 1 butt and they do not taste exactly the way you want them to. you are screwed.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2007, 10:33 PM   #7
MilitantSquatter

More is good if cash for meat and extra cooking space are not an issue..You can get by on what you mentioned.. they key though is to be real careful about not overcooking or undercooking and prepping right...

Last year, I did 2 briskets, 2 butts (comes in twin pack), 6 ribs (comes in tri pack) and 15-24 chicken parts.. This cost me approx $150 per contest.. This was nearly 1/4 of my overall contest expense.

The six ribs were definite overkill in my mind.. It's the most expensive of the meats (babybacks) and I had three times as many compared to butts & briskets for a category that was equally weighed to the other three..

In retrospect, I wasted a lot of food as most of it I did not bring all the way back home for various reasons. I rarely noticed any significant differences in taste and tenderness and appearance between the like items..

I've been toying with the idea of cooking less to be more focused.. Have not made a decision on that as of yet.I think that if one cooks less, you'll more likely be much more cautious about your prep work, your temps, times, feel etc. All good things necessary to perform your best.

Again, if money and chamber space are no object, cook more.. If they are an issue, you can deal with it by cooking carefully.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 03-16-2007 at 09:35 AM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2007, 10:40 PM   #8
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

We cook 2 briskets, 2 butts, 4 racks (spares), and about 20 thighs. Cost is a little easier for us because we have four people and each person covers the cost of the meat they are in charge of.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2007, 10:46 PM   #9
spicewine
Babbling Farker

Chances are that each cut that you buy at the market is from a different animal. Different age, different sex, different feed lot. All of these factors play into the flavor of the meat. When you buy only 1 cut you are rolling the dice that that particular cut is the best cut available.

We do 2 Brisket, 2 Pork Butt, 6 racks of ribs and 20 or so chicken.

Know your Butcher! Tell them what you need!! Pick it out yourself from not what's at the meat counter, but what's in their cooler.

You are paying for it, so you might as well be picking out the best!!

We have found, that when we talk to our meat suppliers, and told them that we were cooking on the Pro Circuit, that they bent over backwards to give us the best cuts.

Yes meat is expensive, but 1 Butt---1 Brisket--- does not give you the best odds of walking!!

IMO

Spice

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009 & 2017

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2007, 11:15 PM   #10
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

2 briskets, 4 butts, 6 slabs, 18-24 pieces of chicken

All for the same reasons as mentioned... options at turn-in time.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2007, 07:59 AM   #11
Dale P
is One Chatty Farker

2 briskets, 2 butts, 3 racks of ribs, at least 12 pieces of chicken. If I have the extra money I will cook more of everything but the above is my minimum.

Perry Brothers & Sons Bar-B-Q
Dale P is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2007, 08:45 AM   #12
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy
You are not cooking nearly enough for a contest. The idea of cooking more is you have a choice of what you turn in. If a brisket did not turn out just right you have one or two more to choose from. Same goes for butt, chicken and ribs. If you only cook 1 brisket or 1 butt and they do not taste exactly the way you want them to. you are screwed.
You better tell Mike Davis and Johnny Trigg they've been doing it wrong all this time. They both cook a minimal amount of meat.

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2007, 08:49 AM   #13
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ
You better tell Mike Davis and Johnny Trigg they've been doing it wrong all this time. They both cook a minimal amount of meat.
Heck, If I ever got as good as those guys, I would cut back.
For now, "an amateur hedging my bets" here.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2007, 09:05 AM   #14
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ
You tell them they are doing it wrong, we would be screwed though. They can get away with that, they are amoung the best cookers in the world. We do this as a hobby and cook 4 or 8 contests per year. There is no way we have the experience to cook as consistantly as they do. It is a real possibility for us to have trouble with a brisket or a rack of ribs. If we brought only one we would be in trouble and DQ.

BTW We only take 2 briskets, 2 butts, 6 racks of ribs and 24 thighs.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…

Last edited by Sawdustguy; 03-16-2007 at 09:27 AM..
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2007, 09:15 AM   #15
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy
They are not screwed, I would be screwed though. They can get away with that, they are amoung the best cookers in the world. We do this as a hobby and cook 4 and 8 contests per year. There is no way we have the experience to cook as consistantly as they do. It is a real possibility for us to have trouble with a brisket. If we had only one, we would be screwed.

BTW We only take 2 briskets, 2 butts, 6 racks of ribs and 24 thighs.
I cook 2 butts, 2 brisket 3 or 4 racks of ribs and 12 thighs. I used to cook a lot more chicken and ribs but I find I get a better product cooking less because I can give each piece of meat more attention. I think the main reason Trigg and Davis could so little is because they are on the road all summer and have nothing to do with all that extra meat.

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote