MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
Thespanishgrill
On the road to being a farker

Default Quick questimation on Turkey and Butt cook times please

Hey all,

Throwing on my first go with Boston Butt, it's a 6.7 pounder, then I have 3 medium size turkey breasts on the bone.
Can you give me a rough time table for cooking at 265-275 ?

Thanks all and happy cooking today.
Thespanishgrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

What cooker are you using? Reason i asked is because UDS type of heat (direct)cooks a tad faster.

I'd guesstimate @ 275 the butt should take a little over an hour per lb and the turkey will take 45 minutes a lb. Gotta go probe tender on the butt and 165 IT in the thickest part of the poultry.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
Thespanishgrill

Sorry should have put that, 22 WSM 2nd cook so it's running a little warm at the minute

Old 10-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
Fwismoker

Dry water pan? Oh make sure to have the poultry on the bottom rack and pork up top

Old 10-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
Thespanishgrill

dry pan, I was going to foil the butt when it hit 165 then the turkey should be able to fit on the top rack next to it I would guess ?

Old 10-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespanishgrill View Post
dry pan, I was going to foil the butt when it hit 165 then the turkey should be able to fit on the top rack next to it I would guess ?
I go no foil but Yea that's fine..just didn't want to see your poultry contaminate your pork

Old 10-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
Thespanishgrill

ok thanks, now if i go fat side up at 275 what time per pound would you estimate for the butt and the turkey breasts ?

Old 10-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespanishgrill View Post
ok thanks, now if i go fat side up at 275 what time per pound would you estimate for the butt and the turkey breasts ?
Turkey won't take more than that and the butt I go fat side down on vertical cookers. The butt shouldn't take much more than 8 hours give or take. All meat has a mind of it's own so who knows!