• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
I'm about 45 pages into this behemoth and have a question that I haven't found an answer to as of yet. I am about to burn my barrel and may not be able to paint the outside right away after it cools. Anything that I can do to slow the rusting process before I can get to it?

I'm about 45 pages into this behemoth and have a question that I haven't found an answer to as of yet. I am about to burn my barrel and may not be able to paint the outside right away after it cools. Anything that I can do to slow the rusting process before I can get to it?

Keep it out of the rain :becky:

Really though, you probably won't get much rust as long as its stored in a dry place. Some minor surface rust might from from handling and such but a little sand paper should take that off it it becomes a problem.

Keep it out of the rain :becky:

Really though, you probably won't get much rust as long as its stored in a dry place. Some minor surface rust might from from handling and such but a little sand paper should take that off it it becomes a problem.

Thanks Colonel! That's kinda what I thought, but saw others say that it would rust up right away. Don't mind clean-ups/touch-ups, but don't want to have to hit the whole thing.

Going to pick up my free drum this afternoon. It was a sealed top that has been popped so I'm left without a lid. I will be keeping my eyes open for a Weber lid, but was wondering how the fit is right out of the gate. Will it need some modifications?

Good luck on the lid. They don't tend to "just pop up" without the grill. I'm about to give up and buy a $90 grill just for a farking lid :mad:

UDS finally done thanks to the info on this board.

IMG_20110508_155252.jpg

Smoking away

IMG_20110508_162637.jpg

Are there any alternatives? It doesn't have to be a weber I guess.

I have a couple friends who bought a masterforge grill from LOWES. One went right on a drum that had the lid cut off and one had to use the flatten and hammer over method. That one he even was able to bolt on the masterforge hinges to the barrel. And it's just $49. He's a member here and this is the snapshot he sent me after putting it on.

masterforge-top.jpg

I may have lucked out on a lid! A guy on my softball team and both halves of a Weber kettle he said I could have. He's not sure which size, so all fingers will be crossed.

Hello all! I received my reconditioned drum today and have a question. There is some sort of coating on the inside, I assume it is something to prevent rust, do I have to do a full burn to remove it or can I just hit it with the weed burner? Or can I just take it to the car wash and spray it out? Thanks in advance.

Hello all! I received my refurbished drum today and have a question. There is some sort of coating on the inside, I assume it is something to prevent rust, do I have to do a full burn to remove it or can I just hit it with the weed burner? Or can I just take it to the car wash and spray it out? Thanks in advance.

Weed burner is more fun than a car wash :thumb:

Awesome. I was wondering when someone was going to do this to a UDS or BGE.

Nice work Philip. Looks great. What did you use for the probe inserts?

I used 1/2" electrical water-tight for UF cable connectors. Took the rubber insert, five of them actually, made a silicone mold without the thru-slot for the wire and then cast them with high temp silicone with a small thru-hole that I pushed the sensors through.

If there's interest in them, I can run do them from time to time. 24 hours cure per casting.

I use casting materials fairly often so I had the materials here to do it with and I was looking for a way to prevent air from going through the hole.

A few photos below.

DSC_1466.JPG

DSC_1453.JPG

DSC_1463.JPG

DSC_1465.JPG

Drum clean up question

I've got my drum and will hopefully have all my parts early next week (waiting on a lid). So now I have some questions on clean up of the drum.

My drum housed anti-freeze. The drum is unlined and VERY clean!!! There is a small spot of rust-like residue in the bottom of the barrel (you can wipe it clean with a wet rag) and the outside is still very nicely painted and dent free. My plan is to wash out the drum with some simple green a couple of times, then drill all my holes before using a weed burner to remove the paint from the outside. Does anyone see anything wrong with this method?

I've bought some high heat paint. What about primer? I've seen it done both ways. I never looked for high heat primer though. Does such a thing exist?

I've got my drum and will hopefully have all my parts early next week (waiting on a lid). So now I have some questions on clean up of the drum.

My drum housed anti-freeze. The drum is unlined and VERY clean!!! There

MY DRUM ALSO HAD ANTI FREEZE DID THE EXACT SAME THING TO MINE, HAD HAD SEVERAL COOKS THRU IT AND EVERY THING IS FINE.

Back