Corn in the Husk

Chuckwagonbbqco

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have a customer wanting BBQ corn cobs in the husk. I have never done this---what is best method. I have smokers and I have open "Santa Maria" style pits. It seems to me like smoking it would work better---but concerned about drying it out etc. Any ideas??

I did a few in the drum last month. Just threw them in near the sides around the tri-tip I was smoking. (I do tri-tip kinda hot – 275-300ish...) Didn't do a damn thing for prep. Don't remember how long I cooked'em, but they were great. Seems like the husks do a pretty good job of keeping moisture in...

If you want, you can soak the corn before putting on the grill but it is not necessary. There are enough layers of shuck to protect the corn. I have done corn on my weber many times and have done it both ways. If you have some sort of cover, they would help steam the corn, but again, not a deal killer if you don't.

The smokers would work just don't add wood and get the temp up to about 300 or better.

Roast corn is big in south Texas and they use big propane rotisserie trailers.

Make sure to have some good gloves to shuck the corn. Once roasted, the shuck and silk come off pretty easily but they will be HOT!

Condiments for South Texas are: Butter, Salt & Pepper, Chili Powder, Parmesan Cheese and Mayo. Personally, cannot stand the thought of Mayo on corn but my daughter loves it.

Roll it over direct heat on the Santa Maria

No expert here but ive done husk on corn in my big Klose Mobile at 250 degrees for 1 hour.

Alton Brown does his husk on in an oven for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
I usually run mine for 45 minutes.

I dont soak, dont remove the silk before cooking.
The silk actually sticks to the husks and comes off much easier.

I wear welding gloves when husking the baked corn.

Cooking corn in the husk is just about the only way I do it.

Usually throw some on the gaser when cooking up some dogs & burgers. Seems I give them about 30 minutes on medium/high heat...rotating (if/when I remember).

Exactly what I do, you got to consider the volume you are cooking too!

Great minds think alike.:biggrin::biggrin: You can grill corn in the husk in advance and keep hot by putting in a dry cooler. For big parties we'll use a 10' long grill starting at one end with two ears of corn then give a 1/4 turn every minute adding two more ears every minute. By the time they get to the other end they are done and go straight into the cooler. As I said earliler, this is grilled over direct heat using K and a few chunks of wood. Usually maple.

Thanks for the ideas. I bought 3 cases of sweet corn in the husk ( 4 dozen ears per case) and cooked them in my Bushrod smoker---then transferred them to ice chests to keep warm. I served the corn still in the husk and it was the least popular side dish. I may try this again but will shuck the corn after cooking next time. It appeared that the corn was too much work, and people passed it by. The dutch oven cobblers for dessert were the biggest hit

Anyone ever put a wooden skewer in hte bottom after they ahve been grilled or smoked have a pan of melted butter with garlic in it and give it a dunk then hand it to the person or put it on the plate as a side. its like a cornsicle and they have a handle

We toss corn on a roster, grill or anything with high heat. About 30 min no prep, when you pull the corn off the grill you pull the husk back .. but not off and use it for your handle.
We then have large mouth tall containers, like a large pretzel container you get from Sams, fill it 3/4 with water. Then add several sticks of melted butter to the water. The butter will settle out on top.
So then you take your corn by the husk, dip the corn down into the water. And as the pull the corn out it is pulled thru the top layer of butter to coat the corn. :)

Kids, ok Dads too, have fun just dunking the corn.

Sorry no pics ... did I explain that correctly?

Back