Keri's Hog Apple Beans

peach pie filling works great too...just a bit more expensive but dang, tasty.

I think Im gonna try putting the pie filling in the blender. I have made these beans twice and they are GREAT..but Ive had a few people that cant get over the hunks of apple. I even chop them up into the smallest pieces I can. I would think pulvarzing them would give the same flavor, yet do away with the hunks of apple. Thanks for the recipe...it is awesome.

I think Im gonna try putting the pie filling in the blender. I have made these beans twice and they are GREAT..but Ive had a few people that cant get over the hunks of apple. I even chop them up into the smallest pieces I can. I would think pulvarzing them would give the same flavor, yet do away with the hunks of apple. Thanks for the recipe...it is awesome.

I've made these a few times now. The last time I made them I took the pie filling for a few spins in the food proc and it worked wonders. I didn't completely obliterate the apple, but once it was cooked down on the stove AND baked, the apple was so tender people didn't even notice it.

bump this so's I can review it proper and have it handy. Going to try this tomorrow the 4th

Tweaked Keri's recipe...using Dinosaur BBQ roasted garlic BBQ sauce (replacing Blues Hog), using Plowboy's Yardbird as the rub, and using Bush's new Texas Ranchero beans (roasted pinto with jalapeno and chili sauce) as the base... placing the dutch oven on the bottom of my Bubba Keg (as a deflector/heatsink).

Wow... certainly raised the kick a few notches!

Family definitely tasted the difference... when compared to a sweeter batch the day before.... and recommended repeating using the kicked up version. They just love the beans that bite back!!!

I took the original recipe and replaced the Hogs brand with SBR and used Bone Sucking Sauce rub. I didn't have any rib tips so used the cooked sausage but I may try some Andoule next time. Anyway I took the batch to a fanfest along with 6 racks of ribs and set it out and sure enough two other people brought baked beans as well. At the end of the event all I had left was a empty aluminum tray to throw away while the other two people had to find a way to store their leftovers.

i made these yesterday and put the pie filling in the blender before mixing into the beans. I didn't like the idea of having apple chunks in the beans. Also it keeps people wondering what's in them since they taste so good. I also subsistuted SBR for the Blues Hog sauce. Everyone loved them! This is definitely a keeper!!

These beans taste great and just about anything you do to them, mimicking the recipe, will turn out very good. They are different than an old family recipe but when I make them they disappear just as fast.

I have been using variations of this recipe for a few years. People love finding the fruit pieces and especially love the pulled pork in it. It embarrasses me to admit that along with ribs, it is my most requested dish.
My wife and I had this weekend alone at the cottage and it was one of her requests:wink:

after making these several times I have decided ground ham tastes the best :thumb:

Ground ham, eh? Now that sounds interesting. I'll try that!

Thanks - Keri C, Hot Wire BBQ
Still Smokin' on Tulsa Time

Kari, glad to see your still around. I haven't seen any posts from you in quite a while. Please stay with us here on the BBBrethern.

NUTZ

i know that this thread is old, but i felt that it had merit to bring back around for some of the new folk like myself.

sitting here on duty tonight reading this just made me mess myself.........definately going to try this for my units christmas pot luck.

Gettin' ready for my daughter's graduation party next week, gonna make about 7 gallons of Keri's Hog Apple Beans! This recipe is a treasure, folks; if you haven't made it yet, you owe it to yourself and your guests!

I'm also doing a spicy, small side batch that will also have mango, peach, pineapple, and apple - plus spicy smoked/caramelized onions in it!

Give 'er a go, you won't be disappointed!

Back