FBA Sanctioned Event

Redheart

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am entering the Backyard Division comp in Newnan GA next weekend. Figured for 75 bucks and a chance for Grand Champion even competing in the Backyard Division it is worth it. But I have a question about meat inspection under FBA rules.
Does anyone know if I can pre-trim my meat for FBA? I will be a one man team and there is no way I will be able to trim ribs, brisket & chicken and still compete effectively. If I have to go to my local butcher to buy the meat and have them prep it to my needs I will, but at this point I would rather save the cash and prep and ziplock it at home.
Thanks

I do all my prep at the comp,it really doesn't take that long.Inspector really like to see the meat in the package it was bought in.

Yes, you can pre-trim meat for FBA. The only thing FBA requires that KCBS does not is that you prove your meat to be USDA inspected, so bring the original labels in case they ask to see them.

Yes, you can pre-trim meat for FBA. The only thing FBA requires that KCBS does not is that you prove your meat to be USDA inspected, so bring the original labels in case they ask to see them.

Thanks for the info

I have been and read the rules. it does not specify

Actually the Meat Inspection rule does not allow marinade, rub, seasoning, cooking etc BEFORE meat inspection, but does not disallow trimming of meat. Therefore trimming of meat prior to inspection is OK but can cause some problems with the requirement of proving that the meat is USDA or State DA inspected and passed the inspection.
Normal retail store meat has labels which show the USDA or DA mark
If you repackage then save those labels because the Rep will probably want to see them.
If you buy meat by the case (without individual labels) you can cut-out the text from the case box which says USDA or DA and bring that to the comp.
If you buy directly from a butcher or restaurant supply etc and there is no labels etc to save then please save your invoice showing the date of purchase and items purchased.
Because the FBA is a true Cook friendly association all or any of the above would be accepted as valid forms of proof.

MEAT INSPECTION - All meats must be USDA or state DA inspected and passed. No pre-seasoning, injecting, marinating or cooking of any entry is permitted until after inspection by the Official Meat Inspector as appointed by the FBA Representative or the contest organizer. Meat inspection begins at noon on the day prior to the contest. All meat must be maintained at a maximum temperature of 40 degrees F prior to inspection. Prior to cooking, all meat that is resting in preparation for cooking must be covered at all times. All meats must be cooked to a minimum internal temperature of 145 degrees F. After cooking all meat must be maintained at a minimum temperature of 140 degrees F in a covered container until turned in for judging. All contest meat, once inspected, may not leave the cook team's site until turn in.

Marc
Go for it Red....
Thats a good contest in Newnan
I cooked it in 2007 and had a blast.

TexEx has it covered but I saw the replys you got from the FBA BODs so you should have all the info and more. If you have any questions at the contest just run down Bubba from Bubba Q and he will point you in the right direction.

Jimmy B
Smokin' Cracker (The Real BBQin Cracker)
2009-2010 FBA Vice-President

Marc, We missed you this weekend! Good luck next weekend in Newnan. I too have
heard good things about that cookoff.

Well, we had a crappy weekend, all in all. I was sick, my wife was sick, and my other
team mate who is a first-timer has just gotten off of being sick. Overcooked ribs,
new cooker, frankly cooks better than my previous one, and did so about 30 minutes
to an hour faster. Overcooked brisket by about an hour; changed beef suppliers,
much better quality this time, just got done about an hour too soon... New team
mate, I gave us too much time to prepare presentation, meaning the meat went out
colder than it should've been. Otherwise, we got to work together as a team well,
iron out the kinks. I think we'll do much better next time. The pork was spot on,
just delivered cold. Next time I'll just pull it piping hot. Burned fingers will be ok,
right?

Marc, We missed you this weekend! Good luck next weekend in Newnan. I too have
heard good things about that cookoff.

Well, we had a crappy weekend, all in all. I was sick, my wife was sick, and my other
team mate who is a first-timer has just gotten off of being sick. Overcooked ribs,
new cooker, frankly cooks better than my previous one, and did so about 30 minutes
to an hour faster. Overcooked brisket by about an hour; changed beef suppliers,
much better quality this time, just got done about an hour too soon... New team
mate, I gave us too much time to prepare presentation, meaning the meat went out
colder than it should've been. Otherwise, we got to work together as a team well,
iron out the kinks. I think we'll do much better next time. The pork was spot on,
just delivered cold. Next time I'll just pull it piping hot. Burned fingers will be ok,
right?

Hance,

Sorry things did not go so well this weekend for you. Also sorry I did not make it down. I went to pay my fees for Canton and the Backyard Division is sold out. I am on the waiting list so I decided to save the money in case no one backs out and I must compete in the Pro Class.

Also this Newnan thing came up quick for me and decided to do that. Hey any competition that a backyarder can compete for Grand Champion can't be ignored. I got all my meat yesterday except the chicken, so know I can spend the rest of the week pulling all my equipment together. I live in an apartment so I will need to get extension cords, hoses etc so I can compete in a semblance of comfort.

If ya can stop on buy. Look for a hand made Life of Brine poster.

This was a warm-up competition for the team, getting accustomed to one another,
divy up tasks, get newby involved, etc. We did all that great, so wasn't a complete
disaster. The leftovers taste GREAT, so the recipes are fine. I'll have pics of turn
in boxes in the next day or so. We got pretty good marks all around there, except
for pork. Honestly, that surprised me as much as getting good marks in ribs...
This was our first cookoff where I cut BEFORE I sauced. Man oh man can that
sauce (only a slight/small coat) hide sins! :) The babybacks were absolutely
falling apart (taste great, but sucky for competition) and not nearly as moist as
they should've been. I knew we'd get hammered there, and did. However, apparently
my artists background and steady hand kept them together enough to get just
a little sauce to hide it. Got 8's and 7's on something that was a miracle we didnt
get 4's... Brisket same thing, falling apart, newby team member did great getting a
few pieces to hang together (LOVE this granton slicer). Warmed up some of the
juice. Couldn't put meat in it, as it would've been tiny little pieces at that point. So,
just put it in the box, brushed on a little juice. 8's mostly on presentation there too,
on something they probably couldn't pick up a piece (fell apart).

We'll use same vendor for beef; great product, just adjust cook time down. Same
adjustment for ribs... Pork, more than anything else, turned out fantastic, but
because of the 30 minute turn-in window (first time for me on that one), the need
to pull it, my desire to not burn the HELL outa my fingers pulling it, long story, but
it was just too cold and had dried out a little from it's original beauty... Next comp,
I'll be pulling it hot, and it'll go out hot. I'll just have to suck-it-up.

Chicken did well, but didnt SCORE well. I like a spicy chicken (Cajun heritage I
suppose). It either scores high (consistent 2nd and 3rd in comps) when it places, or
the same thing scores LOW and we're towards the bottom. Wife, who happens to
love the chicken and is our chicken-taster, said it was as good as ever, yet it got
hammered... Oh well, that's the way that goes. I always believe in the "dont adjust
your recipe for judges", because the next time if I un-spice it, someone with a good
spicy chicken will win it... :) Come to find out, apparently we had quite a few from
North Carolina. Apparently they're not in to the East Texas / Louisianna spice base...
Oh well.

Marc
Go for it Red....
Thats a good contest in Newnan
I cooked it in 2007 and had a blast.

TexEx has it covered but I saw the replys you got from the FBA BODs so you should have all the info and more. If you have any questions at the contest just run down Bubba from Bubba Q and he will point you in the right direction.

Jimmy B
Smokin' Cracker (The Real BBQin Cracker)
2009-2010 FBA Vice-President

I'll be glad to help as well, should be pulling in late Thursday night.
I'll also have a very limited quantity of FBA logo tshirts (XL) and caps, $15 and $14 respectively. See me early.

I'll be glad to help as well, should be pulling in late Thursday night.
I'll also have a very limited quantity of FBA logo tshirts (XL) and caps, $15 and $14 respectively. See me early.

You had some in Franklin???? Wish I had asked, I would have gotten one to go with my pin that is on my hat.... :rolleyes:

I didn't have any with me in Franklin. Someone asked if I could bring some stuff to Newnan, so I grabbed a few things from our usual seller.

Back