MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:06 PM   #1
vnmg331
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Green Mountain vs Grilla--Any Thoughts

I'm looking at getting a pellet grill finally. I can't decide between a Daniel Boone and Jim Bowie, but it looks like the Grilla Silverback hits the sweet spot. Any thoughts on the quality and cooking differences on these two grills?
vnmg331 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2018, 12:18 PM   #2
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Well, I have not cooked on either one. However, I have done quite a bit of reading. If in your shoes, with those two cookers as my choice, I would go with the Grilla Grills Silverbac. I think the bang for buck is there, and I think they have done a nice job of putting the heavier gauged metals in all the right places.
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-16-2018, 01:25 PM   #3
miked125
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : IG sask_bbq

I have a GMG Daniel boone wifi, the build and quality is really good with a excellent price point IMO. The wifi is a bit tricky to figure out but works great once you figure out how to use it and their is server mode so you can connect from anywhere. The wifi option has temp profile settings also, so you can set it at X temp for two hours then increase it.
miked125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2018, 01:46 PM   #4
vnmg331
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked125 View Post
I have a GMG Daniel boone wifi, the build and quality is really good with a excellent price point IMO. The wifi is a bit tricky to figure out but works great once you figure out how to use it and their is server mode so you can connect from anywhere. The wifi option has temp profile settings also, so you can set it at X temp for two hours then increase it.
yeah, the Silverback just doesn't have the wifi which I would use. I wonder which is best for grilling steaks?

Old 11-16-2018, 02:08 PM   #5
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnmg331 View Post
yeah, the Silverback just doesn't have the wifi which I would use. I wonder which is best for grilling steaks?

You mention steaks... would this be your primary grill? What do you currently cook steaks on?

Old 11-16-2018, 03:18 PM   #6
vnmg331
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
You mention steaks... would this be your primary grill? What do you currently cook steaks on?
Weber Performer--running out of room though. Have a large family. I could by a 26.75 kettle, but would like to try a pellet grill. We don't have steaks that often.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:37 PM   #7
rwalters

Quote:
Weber Performer--running out of room though. Have a large family. I could by a 26.75 kettle, but would like to try a pellet grill. We don't have steaks that often.

Well, we have something in common. I too have a large family. I have a pellet grill and a 26.75” kettle. Love them both. If you currently enjoy grilling on your Performer, than you’d probably LOVE the 26.75” kettle. As far as grilling capabilities, IMO, there is no comparison between a kettle and a “regular” pellet grill. IMO, if a pellet grill is gonna do a respectable job in the grilling department, it must be one that offers some type of direct flame exposure. With that said, pellet grills with no direct flame actually do quite well at high heat roasting/ultra light grilling (things like chicken and burgers — just have to have a model that can exceed 400° cooking temp). Just don’t expect an impressive sear without direct flame exposure. My pellet grill happens to have direct flame, and I use it to grill on as often as I do my kettle. Love em’ both for grilling :)

Old 11-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #8
RemoGaggi
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : RemoGaggi

Quote:
I'm looking at getting a pellet grill finally. I can't decide between a Daniel Boone and Jim Bowie, but it looks like the Grilla Silverback hits the sweet spot. Any thoughts on the quality and cooking differences on these two grills?
I've had both a GMG Daniel Boone and a Jim Bowie. I also have a GMG Davy Crockett. My experience is that the JB is the most temperamental of the entire family of smokers. Everything always seemed to take on longer to cook in the JB than any other pellet smoker I've ever had. I always felt like I was fighting with that smoker. The smoke profile on the JB is also super light. I found the DB that I had to be rock solid on temp and it cooked as expected. Neither my JB or DB had Wifi, but my DC has WiFi and I love that feature. Prior to getting my DC, I always thought the WiFi was not a big deal. However, after having WiFi, I wouldn't do without it.

I don't have any experience with the Grilla units, so can't help you there. Good luck!

Old 11-16-2018, 06:59 PM   #9
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

GrillaGrills is a great company that makes a hell of a product. Something to consider is they are doing a sale right now on the "Old" Silverbac model...$599 (free shipping) gets you the old Silverbac and 2 20Lb bags of pellets.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:09 AM   #10
vnmg331
Knows what a fatty is.

What about build quality? I looked at a Daniel Boone and it seemed just a bit light duty. Is the Silverback heavier built?

Old 11-19-2018, 07:06 AM   #11
miked125
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : IG sask_bbq

Quote:
The GMG can get up to 500F and I have done a steaks on the GMG when there was a fire ban. I Used something inside the grill like grill grates or a cast iron plate/skillet to get a good sear. If I am doing a big steak, I use the GMG for indirect then sear it off on the big green egg.
miked125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2018, 11:13 PM   #12
Music Junkie
Full Fledged Farker

I have had a GMG DB for a few years now and I still enjoy it very much. I am still very pleased with my purchase. It was an affordable entry option for me, and I have learned to cook with it. There are certainly better rigs out there, and I cannot claim to know the best. I would just give the the following advice: Calculate your entry price, research, dive in, cook a LOT, and learn your cooker. Good Q can be done almost anywhere.
Music Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-20-2018, 06:35 AM   #13
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Quote:
What about build quality? I looked at a Daniel Boone and it seemed just a bit light duty. Is the Silverback heavier built?
I've had a DC and a JB for a few years now. Have yet to have anything fall off, and I haven't managed to poke my tongs through the walls either.
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2018, 06:24 AM   #14
vnmg331
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Well, we have something in common. I too have a large family. I have a pellet grill and a 26.75” kettle. Love them both. If you currently enjoy grilling on your Performer, than you’d probably LOVE the 26.75” kettle. As far as grilling capabilities, IMO, there is no comparison between a kettle and a “regular” pellet grill. IMO, if a pellet grill is gonna do a respectable job in the grilling department, it must be one that offers some type of direct flame exposure. With that said, pellet grills with no direct flame actually do quite well at high heat roasting/ultra light grilling (things like chicken and burgers — just have to have a model that can exceed 400° cooking temp). Just don’t expect an impressive sear without direct flame exposure. My pellet grill happens to have direct flame, and I use it to grill on as often as I do my kettle. Love em’ both for grilling :)
rwalters--My main reason for getting another grill is more space. I have considered a 26.75 kettle quite a bit in the past. When do you switch over to your pellet grill? Is it mainly for convenience?

Old 11-21-2018, 08:03 AM   #15
rwalters

Quote:
rwalters--My main reason for getting another grill is more space. I have considered a 26.75 kettle quite a bit in the past. When do you switch over to your pellet grill? Is it mainly for convenience?

That’s a great question and caused me to pause for a minute. Yes, I would have to say that the biggest reason I find myself grilling on my MAK more than my big kettle is mainly due to convenience. Because my MAK offers direct flame exposure, the results are pretty impressive. However, the MAK does not lay down the same flavor profile that “grilling” directly over lump charcoal, using GrillGrates, does. It’s not like the kettle is difficult to get up and running... with lump charcoal I can have it up to temp just as quickly as my MAK... BUT, with a busy family, I often find myself “flipping the switch”. :)

1 members found this post helpful.