MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #16
katman
Knows what a fatty is.

Hey ArmyGuy! I've followed your journey on various forums and figured you were going to take the plunge againwhen you sold the Dreamworks. So here's my two cents: Get a Backwoods, Humphrey's, Pitmaker or similar cabinet smoker. I have three eggs--a clay I've had for about 30 years and two of the newer ceramics. So they are thrifty and give a result like your steel keg, easy to control, etc. but not much capacity. I also have a large WSM. Great results, a needs a bit more charcoal or lump but easy to control. I got a Backwoods extended party about a year ago. Pretty thrifty, easy to control, good capacity and good results. I'd say you can get results that are pretty close to your keg. And a plus is you can get crispier skin on chicken, if that becomes one of your objectives. With a heat shield and water in the pan mine likes to settle in around 225-250. With no water in the pan I use crumbled foil for a moderate heat sink and cook at about 275-300. With the standard charcoal basket at 275 my burn is probably about 6-7 hours using briquettes before I start throwing a few more on to ensure a nice steady temp for a typical 10 hours. I did have my backwoods cranked up to 400 or so when I was seasoning it but I really don't think it is designed to go much above 300. Don't worry about venturing into a cabinet style water smoker. It is just a heat sink and many prefer not using water.

I had a stick burner years ago when I didn't mind tending a fire for hours. I think you will be pleased with the convenience and results of a cabinet. They are very easy to regulate. You can do small cooks or use one to full capacity. I still use my eggs and WSM but at some point I'll move to somplace where I don't have the space to store all of these cookers and will consolidate. I'll probably keep a cabinet and maybe a pellet smoker/grill. The Backwoods is a fine cooker but I think any similar design would give you the results you want.
katman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #17
grillinguy247
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliding_billy View Post
Take a look at this thread. There is a lot of good info on price (approx a year old) and capacity with different fuel types and fuel load options. From what it sounds like in your OP, a gravity fed seems to me to be the best option for you. I can't help but notice that you are about as far away from all of the builders as you could be. Shipping is going to be a mother.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=150819
You're right about the location. Just fyi I got a quote for shipping for a couple of the good builders on that side. It is anywhere from 400 on up. (Depending on weight)

Transplanted Texan

Chad
grillinguy247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #18
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grillinguy247 View Post
You're right about the location. Just fyi I got a quote for shipping for a couple of the good builders on that side. It is anywhere from 400 on up. (Depending on weight)
Its going to be difficult to duplicate the Acorn product but if you want to try...
There was a Backwoods Gator in the "For Sale" area...Looks like it fell off the list...it was in Palmdale, I think...

Good Luck in you search for the Holy Grail...
MeatCandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #19
grillinguy247
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
Are there no local builders out in CA?
Not that I know of. I was thinking of making a trip to Texas to visit family and bring back a smoker.

Transplanted Texan

Chad
grillinguy247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #20
DriverWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by katman View Post
Hey ArmyGuy! I've followed your journey on various forums and figured you were going to take the plunge againwhen you sold the Dreamworks. So here's my two cents: Get a Backwoods, Humphrey's, Pitmaker or similar cabinet smoker. I have three eggs--a clay I've had for about 30 years and two of the newer ceramics. So they are thrifty and give a result like your steel keg, easy to control, etc. but not much capacity. I also have a large WSM. Great results, a needs a bit more charcoal or lump but easy to control. I got a Backwoods extended party about a year ago. Pretty thrifty, easy to control, good capacity and good results. I'd say you can get results that are pretty close to your keg. And a plus is you can get crispier skin on chicken, if that becomes one of your objectives. With a heat shield and water in the pan mine likes to settle in around 225-250. With no water in the pan I use crumbled foil for a moderate heat sink and cook at about 275-300. With the standard charcoal basket at 275 my burn is probably about 6-7 hours using briquettes before I start throwing a few more on to ensure a nice steady temp for a typical 10 hours. I did have my backwoods cranked up to 400 or so when I was seasoning it but I really don't think it is designed to go much above 300. Don't worry about venturing into a cabinet style water smoker. It is just a heat sink and many prefer not using water.

I had a stick burner years ago when I didn't mind tending a fire for hours. I think you will be pleased with the convenience and results of a cabinet. They are very easy to regulate. You can do small cooks or use one to full capacity. I still use my eggs and WSM but at some point I'll move to somplace where I don't have the space to store all of these cookers and will consolidate. I'll probably keep a cabinet and maybe a pellet smoker/grill. The Backwoods is a fine cooker but I think any similar design would give you the results you want.
I second this post and was going to write something very similar. For your needs an insulated cabinet sounds like the best bet. Good luck in your search!

Old 11-15-2013, 04:42 AM   #21
BBQ_MAFIA
somebody shut me the fark up.

I also agree that an insulated cabinet smoker is a great choice.
I have a Spicewine and can tell you it is a fantastic cooker.
As you can see from my sig. below I have several diff. types of cookers
and the Spice is my baby. I will tell you that the Large is really big and a
Med. is probably a better choice for most. When thinking about bang for the buck,
don't forget to consider construction quality and longevity. From a quality perspective
I can tell you that my Spicewine will last and be smoking away far after I am gone.
This thing is a beast and made to last a very, very, very long time.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #22
armyguygrillin
Got Wood.

Thanks for all of the help guys. I am still looking around. I might try finding someone close to me that has one of the backwoods or pitmakers.

I actually am starting to look at the pitmakers sniper model now. It looks pretty darn nice with plenty of capacity.
armyguygrillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #23
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Build a UDS.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #24
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Build a UDS.
Bludawg aint lying, build a UDS and see how well they cook. You have a keg, a UDS or two would be a great combination to be sure. If you have the chance to cook on a UDS, do it you will be impressed.
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #25
abangs
is one Smokin' Farker

Backwoods are hard to beat. Dynamite people. Dealers in most all regions. And a reputation that can't be beat. If you like the Pellet model, then you are in luck. Backwoods will be introducing a pellet option on their cookers VERY soon. I can tell you that it will impart the smoke flavor of coal and wood as well as their traditional models. Right now, it is in prototype but is very close. I am cooking on one of the G2 Fatboy Pellet prototypes and so far I love it.......I have been anti-pellet for a long time but I'm here to tell you, if you like the pellet model, this is worth waiting a few more weeks for.
abangs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #26
abangs
is one Smokin' Farker

Oh yea, it has no problem running 400 degrees WITH water.........you HNF guys are gonna dig it. I did two turkeys at 350 with water last week......didn't skip a beat. I am going to to an 18lb prime brisket next week HNF on it. Will post pics of it then.
abangs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #27
olflathead
Knows what a fatty is.

http://www.smokymountainbbq.com check this site out. Many different styles. I own the CD108 makes great bbq.
olflathead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #28
dummy que
Full Fledged Farker

Default stick burner

get a LANG the LANG 60 is what you want it has more grate space for cooking for your friends and neighbors once you master fire control it`s oh so sweet makes the best bbq bar none unless you are planing to serve your meat at 8:00 am you realy will not miss any sleep half the fun of a stick burner is checking the fire while you enjoy a nice cold libation

Old 12-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #29
DriverWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Build a UDS.
20-25 Racks of ribs on a UDS? While I like my UDS as others on here do, it is not high enough capacity for your needs.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:22 AM   #30
armyguygrillin
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abangs View Post
Backwoods are hard to beat. Dynamite people. Dealers in most all regions. And a reputation that can't be beat. If you like the Pellet model, then you are in luck. Backwoods will be introducing a pellet option on their cookers VERY soon. I can tell you that it will impart the smoke flavor of coal and wood as well as their traditional models. Right now, it is in prototype but is very close. I am cooking on one of the G2 Fatboy Pellet prototypes and so far I love it.......I have been anti-pellet for a long time but I'm here to tell you, if you like the pellet model, this is worth waiting a few more weeks for.

Not saying I don't believe that, but I have spent THOUSANDS on pellet smokers(Still have my PG500 which is only used as a grill now), and those things just dont produce the smoke flavoring, even when they are pouring out smoke.

The only thing to date that I can taste a nice smoke flavoring from is my Big Steel Keg, which of course uses lump charcoal and wood chunks.

I might shoot you a call about that smoker tomorrow.
armyguygrillin is offline   Reply With Quote