MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:15 PM   #361
BruceB
is one Smokin' Farker

Just a quick question (ok 3 quick questions), I've been doing my T-Day turkey on my WSM for years and have always used the top cooking grate. Several videos on YouTube show folks using the middle cooking grate. Which grate do you use? and if you use the middle grate and have switched from the top grate, why? and have you noticed any difference?

Bruce

22 1/2" WSM and 18 1/2" WSM
Weber 22 1/2" Kettle, Weber Jumbo Joe 18 1/2"
Weber Genesis Gasser
Treasurer, Great Lakes Barbecue Association
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2014, 06:53 PM   #362
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
Just a quick question (ok 3 quick questions), I've been doing my T-Day turkey on my WSM for years and have always used the top cooking grate. Several videos on YouTube show folks using the middle cooking grate. Which grate do you use? and if you use the middle grate and have switched from the top grate, why? and have you noticed any difference?
I've not cooked a turkey on a WSM myself.
I know on my ECB the top rack is a little hotter than the bottom.
If it were me, I'd put the bird on the top rack since that's closest to the thermometer and would give me a more accurate reading.

I really don't know that it would matter all that much. If one's hotter than the other, it'll just cook a little quicker.

How high can you get your WSM? I always have had trouble getting Dan's WSM above 275 or so unless I leave the lid not sealed all the way. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:25 PM   #363
BruceB
is one Smokin' Farker

I can get mine up to 335-345, but I can usually dial it in at or very near to 325 for the entire cook.

Bruce

22 1/2" WSM and 18 1/2" WSM
Weber 22 1/2" Kettle, Weber Jumbo Joe 18 1/2"
Weber Genesis Gasser
Treasurer, Great Lakes Barbecue Association
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2014, 01:14 PM   #364
sincitydisciple01
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Bone in breast, even on low heat will cook FAST! First time out, you are better off cooking to temp and not time. I don't recall exactly, but for planning purposes, I'm pretty sure it's less than 2 hours when i do them on my drum.
KCBS: 2010
CBJ: 2011
Damn near impossible to lose [COLOR=Lime]BRIGHT GREEN[/COLOR] superfast Thermapen
On Twitter @BigIronBBQ
sincitydisciple01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #365
sincitydisciple01
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawdog's Smokewagon View Post
Going to smoke a 7lb turkey breast on the new UDS for Christmas. Do you guys have any suggestions on an injection? I have some Tony Chatchers Creole Butter what do you think about it? Going to smoke @325 more or less so i figure about 2.5hrs does that sound about right?
Thanks in advance for your help,
Lawdog

Bone in breast, even on low heat will cook FAST! First time out, you are better off cooking to temp and not time. I don't recall exactly, but for planning purposes, I'm pretty sure it's less than 2 hours when i do them on my drum. I'm a fan of the butter/rub mix slathered under and on the skin. When injecting, less is more. Have fun!
KCBS: 2010
CBJ: 2011
Damn near impossible to lose [COLOR=Lime]BRIGHT GREEN[/COLOR] superfast Thermapen
On Twitter @BigIronBBQ
sincitydisciple01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2014, 07:23 PM   #366
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

Unpacked my test turkey today and got it in the brine. Planning to pull / rinse / dry it tomorrow and cook it Sunday. Went with a Cajun seasoning since this will be used for sandwiches...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2014, 11:10 AM   #367
ct poolguy
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

we are going to smoke a turkey for the first time, my question: my smoker will hold 2 14 lb turkeys, at what temp and how long would I have to smoke them?
ct poolguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #368
K Renas
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
Bruce, I have cooked a 22 lb turkey in my 18-inch WSM before by using a lower grate and standing it up on end, sorta like a beer-can chicken. I used one of the mods on Virtual Weber Bullet site to have a middle grate about 4 inches above the lower grate – turkey went on middle grate and to catch the juices I put a pan with stock and veggies on the lower grate. I just felt that if I used the upper grate that a big bird would be hugging the grimy inside of the lid.

I don't feel up to handling 2 whole birds this year so I'm simplifying things by doing turkey parts (breasts and thighs) using a recipe from America's Test Kitchen, first 20 minutes at 500 in oven then rest of time in smoker. I've done this before and it turns out great.
K Renas is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-16-2014, 02:27 PM   #369
dadsr4

Since fresh vs frozen is always a question, and many people are brining for the first time, I thought I would post these.
What is the difference between a fresh vs frozen turkey
http://bbq.about.com/od/turkey/a/aa110709a.htm
"What kinds of plastic containers can be used to hold the brining solution and meat"
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/plastics.html

Old 11-16-2014, 04:27 PM   #370
dadsr4

I spatchcocked a 10 lb turkey today. It was unbrined, rubbed under the skin with a Greek rub recipe I found on the Net, and cooked indirect at 350 deg for about 2 hours till the breast was 160 deg, the thighs at 180 deg. Quite moist, in fact my wife was surprised how moist.

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-17-2014, 06:34 PM   #371
Humble Soul
Full Fledged Farker

^Nice! By any chance could you post the Greek rub recipe or a link? Sounds intriguing.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:10 PM   #372
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble Soul View Post
^Nice! By any chance could you post the Greek rub recipe or a link? Sounds intriguing.
Thank you.
Greek Seasoning Blend

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons salt -I use kosher
1 teaspoon basil
1 tsp sage
1 tsp oregano
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon dill
1 teaspoon marjoram
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon rosemary
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Combine all ingredients in blender, grind to a fine powder, and store in an airtight container.
I plan on using granulated onion and garlic in the future.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:44 PM   #373
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct poolguy View Post
we are going to smoke a turkey for the first time, my question: my smoker will hold 2 14 lb turkeys, at what temp and how long would I have to smoke them?
Well, if it were ME, I'd run the smoker at about 350 degrees and plan on taking about 3 hoursish.

I usually just rely on something like THIS to determine cook time. Easily found on google.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:48 AM   #374
bacchus99
Full Fledged Farker

I'm sure this has been covered a thousand times but here goes anyway :).

1. Can you or is there any more benefit to brining an enhanced bird such as a butterball or is it best to find an unenhanced bird?

2. If you brine can you still inject? What if you brined an enhanced bird? Can you still inject? I usually just use something like Cajun butter.

I'd like to see what the brine crazy is about this year and try it.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:57 AM   #375
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus99 View Post
I'm sure this has been covered a thousand times but here goes anyway :).

1. Can you or is there any more benefit to brining an enhanced bird such as a butterball or is it best to find an unenhanced bird?

2. If you brine can you still inject? What if you brined an enhanced bird? Can you still inject? I usually just use something like Cajun butter.

I'd like to see what the brine crazy is about this year and try it.
Yes you can brine an enhanced bird. I do it all the time.
Keep in mind that brining is about equilibrium. So if you have a turkey with no salt and you soak it in a salt solution (brine) what happens is that the salt (and anything else with it) will equalize between the brine and the bird.

If you use a weak brine, it will still equalize but the bird won't end up as salty. If you use a strong brine, you'll end up with a saltier finish product.

SO, if you start with a bird that's been enhanced and a brine solution, you'll end up with something that's at equilibrium between the two. What happens is that the brine just won't change the bird AS MUCH since it's already started along the way of the salt with the enhancing injection. It will STILL help it, however, and it certainly won't hurt anything.

As far as injecting with butter or whatever, you can always do this in addition to brining. If it were me, I'd just be careful about using an injection with TOO much flavor as you're already getting some flavor from the brine and enhancement. I prefer to inject with butter just before putting on the smoke.