MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:15 AM   #1
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Default KCBS Board?????

I hope this is the right spot

Well I have been nominated for the KCBS BoD
After reading the forums over the last few years I am not LOL sure that's a positive :)

Here is my question

What as a voter are you looking for in a BoD member?

1 A name I recognize but know nothing about the person
2 Willingness to wear a "kick me" sign on their back
3 Someone from MY part of the country
4 Experience with nonprofit organizations
5 Experience as a Organizer, Rep/Judge or as a Cook
6 Open, available, actually cares what the membership thinks
7 Or........... What do you think is important?

A while back I told Gene Goycochea I would back him this year and that will probably
preclude my running in 2009 ............. Maybe 2010 would be a good year :)

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2008, 08:56 AM   #2
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

Five and six for me, Thom. As far as a known name goes, Brethren status goes a long way with me because after a while you get to know a bruddah. Know what I mean?

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:02 AM   #3
Plowboy

I want someone who has cooked and rep'd a contest. Ideally more than one.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
Professor Salt
is one Smokin' Farker

Communication is key. Timely, abundant, and clear (ahem... Mr. Cryptic...)

Merl Whitebook proactively informs us on Brethren and CBBQA boards and gets my vote over the other BOD's who never show their faces in online forums. Is Merl the only current BOD member that knows how to use online forums? How do the other people communicate? Smoke signals? Semaphore? Come on, BOD, get with the times already.
I cook on two WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber kettle, a Komodo Kamado plus UDS.
Super-fast purple Thermapen

Last edited by Professor Salt; 10-30-2008 at 04:11 PM..
Professor Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
lunchlady
is one Smokin' Farker

3, 4, 5, and 6 work for me...

3 - represent the people not only from your region but beyond, it's a great big membership out there.

4 - experience with non-profits are great, means that you care about things other than yourself. more to charity is always better. most of us have it good, help those that don't.

5 - having worn any or all of those hats (organizer, cook, judge or rep) just reminds you what it's like to BE them, and in my opinion makes for a better BoD member.

6 - open and available comunication is very important as well, since we all are a part of this organization, we like to know what is going on and how it will affect us.

You do great work Thom, from what I have heard and seen from afar.

Go get 'em ... if you're jumping in. Just don't get that sign for your back.

p.s. Linda Mullane is on here a LOT! I feel like she knows what's what on the "East Side", and I like to believe she votes as her constituents would like her to, it's why she was elected in the first place.
[URL="http://www.nebs.org"][I][FONT=Century Gothic]www.nebs.org[/FONT][/I][/URL]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]2 Backwoods Partys [/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]WSM, 2 Weber kettles, Weber Performer[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]Large BGE[/FONT][/I]
lunchlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:52 PM   #6
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Salt View Post
Communication is key. Timely, abundant, and clear (ahem... Mr. Cryptic...)

Merl Whitehead proactively informs us on Brethren and CBBQA boards and gets my vote over the other BOD's who never show their faces in online forums. Is Merl the only current BOD member that knows how to use online forums? How do the other people communicate? Smoke signals? Semaphore? Come on, BOD, get with the times already.
You will see a few on here just around election time
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledneck View Post
you will see a few on here just around election time

LOL!!! Kinda like the CBBQA!
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor salt View Post
communication is key. Timely, abundant, and clear (ahem... Mr. Cryptic...)

merl whitehead proactively informs us on brethren and cbbqa boards and gets my vote over the other bod's who never show their faces in online forums. Is merl the only current bod member that knows how to use online forums? How do the other people communicate? Smoke signals? Semaphore? Come on, bod, get with the times already.

bingo

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:32 PM   #9
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Thom,

Communication is key, as well as responisveness. As someone has mentioned Merl is on here a lot, he also comes over to the GLBBQA forum and posts, that is the kind of BOD member that I would vote for. We all know that you have the cred to be a member and I for one would support your candidacy.
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:58 PM   #10
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

First let me say thank you for the very kind comments from many of you.

When I was elected to the BOD the meetings were closed to members and no agenda was posted. My first goals were to kick in the door to the Board Room and make it open to members. I also pushed to have published agendas for the members to be aware of issues. Those goals were accomplished.

I have failed to get the Board to allow telephone monitoring of the BOD meetings. It has been proposed three times and failed each time. If re-elected, I will bring it up again next year.

But the real reason for my reply is to suggest the quality to look for in a member of the BOD.

There are two types of members of the Board.

1. is the member of the BOD who says: I was elected to make decisions for the members and I know what is good for the members.

2. is the member of the BOD who says: I want to know how the members feel about issues and based upon the desires and needs of the membership, I will make the best decision I can for their benefit.

In our board I have heard too many times the first statement. I would encourage you to vote for candidates who subscribe to the second statement.

Thank you for your support.

Merl Whitebook
KCBS Board of Directors
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:17 PM   #11
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

Being a director is really a difficult position to be in. The basic idea of the Director is to make decisions for a business to make it successful. It is assumed, to a certain extent, that all the directors involved are there to make the business better, It is also assumed that the members of the organization also want the business to be successful and there in lies the conflict. success for a director is not necessarily success for a member. a good director in this type of organization is going to understand that the organization exists because membership supports it. and in order to have membership continue to support it there must be activities and goals that are supported by membership and directors. The role of director can really isolate you from the membership. After all you are the ones making decision and looking at issues and deciding what is "best" for the organization and membership. If you don't keep in touch, you lose the needs of the membership amongst the needs of the directors. Prolonged membership on the BOD takes people out of representing membership to developing their own silo's of leadership. Once the silo's are established, removing them or going against them can be problematic on many levels.

Ideally I'd like to see the Directors be directors but elected on a regional representative system. Divide the country into 7/9 or 11 regions and allow each region to nominate and elect a director, and each director be term limited to three terms. This encourages new blood, the removal of silos, as well as getting equal representation to all regions. so if you're going to lead, lead with an ear on membership but remember that to be a director means doing what is right for the business. A very difficult role indeed. Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:44 PM   #12
Wayne
is One Chatty Farker

Default Leadership

1 A name I recognize but know nothing about the person
I recognize Jim Jones but wouldn't want him on the board.
2 Willingness to wear a "kick me" sign on their back
chuckle, how true, but not important to me
3 Someone from MY part of the country
Very few people are from Fall River
4 Experience with nonprofit organizations
A definite plus but not a disqualifier
5 Experience as a Organizer, Rep/Judge or as a Cook
This is kind of what it is all about so experience here is necessary
6 Open, available, actually cares what the membership thinks
All good leaders do have these attributes.
7 Or........... What do you think is important?
Board members need to have ears larger then their mouths, and they need to ask questions rather than spout policy

Long in the tooth,
Long in the tooth,
I'm lookin' 'round the corner,
An' I'm long in the tooth...
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:07 PM   #13
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Good Thoughts Wayne

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:21 AM   #14
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakfishingfool View Post
Prolonged membership on the BOD takes people out of representing membership to developing their own silo's of leadership. Once the silo's are established, removing them or going against them can be problematic on many levels.

This encourages new blood, the removal of silos, as well as getting equal representation to all regions.

I agree with your thoughts. I think you are dead on.
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:30 PM   #15
Professor Salt
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merl View Post
First let me say thank you for the very kind comments from many of you.

When I was elected to the BOD the meetings were closed to members and no agenda was posted. My first goals were to kick in the door to the Board Room and make it open to members. I also pushed to have published agendas for the members to be aware of issues. Those goals were accomplished.

I have failed to get the Board to allow telephone monitoring of the BOD meetings. It has been proposed three times and failed each time. If re-elected, I will bring it up again next year.

But the real reason for my reply is to suggest the quality to look for in a member of the BOD.

There are two types of members of the Board.

1. is the member of the BOD who says: I was elected to make decisions for the members and I know what is good for the members.

2. is the member of the BOD who says: I want to know how the members feel about issues and based upon the desires and needs of the membership, I will make the best decision I can for their benefit.

In our board I have heard too many times the first statement. I would encourage you to vote for candidates who subscribe to the second statement.

Thank you for your support.

Merl Whitebook
KCBS Board of Directors
Thank you for proving my point, Merl. As a KCBS member, I would like to ask you which other BOD members support position #2?
I cook on two WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber kettle, a Komodo Kamado plus UDS.
Super-fast purple Thermapen
Professor Salt is offline   Reply With Quote