Half Chicken: Parkay under the skin?

Falsepaul

Reaction score
I am cooking in my first IBCA Competition in March (Marksville, LA) and I have been experiementing with braising my Half Chickens in Parkay. I am peeling the skin back to season the meat, mixing my rub and Parkay together and applying it under the skin. Taste-wise I am more than pleased with the results.

However, I am finding little pockets of buttery seasoning that don't seem to be melted all the way deeper inside the skin. Any thoughts on how to eliminate this? Its delicious but not neccessary something I want to turn it as it looks a bit funky. I might be over buttering here. I appreciate any feed back. Thanks!

Last edited:
let the Parkay get to room temp first?

I do the same with a mix of Parkay dn rub under the skin on the breast and thigh, but to me with the half chicks, brining is way more important. Get flavor on the meat, in the meat and plenty of moisture and you'll do fine.

I'm with Bruno on this one. Brining is the way to go.

I've also played with butter under the skin. What I noticed more of than anything is the butter melts away, burns in the pit and makes a lot of white smoke.

Maybe use a little less butter or try to spread it better under the skin?

Thanks all. I have brined the halves and the flavor is definitely there. The rub under the skin what just to give it a bit of kick. I might just dry rub and skip the butter to see if I can avoid the butter pools. Thanks!

I am cooking in my first IBCA Competition in March (Marksville, LA) and I have been experiementing with braising my Half Chickens in Parkay. I am peeling the skin back to season the meat, mixing my rub and Parkay together and applying it under the skin. Taste-wise I am more than pleased with the results.

However, I am finding little pockets of buttery seasoning that don't seem to be melted all the way deeper inside the skin. Any thoughts on how to eliminate this? Its delicious but not neccessary something I want to turn it as it looks a bit funky. I might be over buttering here. I appreciate any feed back. Thanks!

You can't be overbuttering

You are using margarine.

Who wants to eat that crap

Tell the judges at your contest that your chicken is stuffed with trans fat. Yum.

Even McDonalds stopped using it.

Can't you afford real butter?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't be overbuttering

You are using margarine.

Who wants to eat that crap

Tell the judges at your contest that your chicken is stuffed with trans fat. Yum.

Even McDonalds stopped using it.

Can't you afford real butter?
If your gonna ban margarine, you might as well go ahead and ban MSG from Comp cooking as well...you know it's out there.

If your gonna ban margarine, you might as well go ahead and ban MSG from Comp cooking as well...you know it's out there.

read my lips

I said nothing about baning anything.

"competition" cooking is a joke anyway.

One day you are 2nd and the next day you place 256.

It only shows how bad and inconsistent you really are.

read my lips

One day you are 2nd and the next day you place 256.

It only shows how bad and inconsistent you really are.

No, it only demonstrates the fact that comps. (big ones especially) are really crapshoots. Most competitors know that and accept it - it's all in the name of fun and a good time doing something we like to do.

No, it only demonstrates the fact that comps. (big ones especially) are really crapshoots. Most competitors know that and accept it - it's all in the name of fun and a good time doing something we like to do.

+1 so very true

no, it only demonstrates the fact that comps. (big ones especially) are really crapshoots. Most competitors know that and accept it - it's all in the name of fun and a good time doing something we like to do.
+2...

Back