MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Default Score the box of chicken

Well wanted to give this a try, this is my first attempt at at the box and chicken, rate away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chicken 001.jpg (57.4 KB, 300 views)
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
RobKC
is one Smokin' Farker

While I'm not trying to pay any attention to the garnish, I can't help but be a little distracted by it. The chicken is a 7, borderline 8. It looks a little too saucy.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
Red Valley BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sean

I too am distracted by the excess of garnish. The pieces could be a little more uniform in size. I like the color, but seems to be very glossy (which could be just the pic). Solid 7, but if the chicken was closer to the same size, an 8.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:54 PM   #4
Chenernator
Full Fledged Farker

^^^^^^ This. Also, I don't like the looks of the black splotches(??). This could be due to the lighting, but if it is due to the spices, then they need to be more uniformally distributed. You're in the 7/8 range, but the lighting makes it tougher to judge.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:12 PM   #5
SteerCrazy
Full Fledged Farker

I think if you turn the chicken vertical you can fit 9 pieces in there, 3 across, 3 rows
Traeger Junior with upgraded Ortech Digital Therm
#2 La Caja China
SteerCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Valley BBQ View Post
I too am distracted by the excess of garnish. The pieces could be a little more uniform in size. I like the color, but seems to be very glossy (which could be just the pic). Solid 7, but if the chicken was closer to the same size, an 8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenernator View Post
^^^^^^ This. Also, I don't like the looks of the black splotches(??). This could be due to the lighting, but if it is due to the spices, then they need to be more uniformally distributed. You're in the 7/8 range, but the lighting makes it tougher to judge.
I agree with the above. The sauce doesn't look finished (cooked) and heavy, the garnish is distracting instead of supporting, and I would have liked a more uniform color. I'd say 7/8.

BTW, I found that if I didn't clean my smoker lid good enough I would end up with those same black spots... It could be seasoning on your part but it wasn't for me...

Great shot on your first try!!!
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

After I put the chicken in the box, I thought the chicken looked buried under garnish

Old 04-29-2010, 09:14 PM   #8
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

You got enough garnish in there for 3 boxes.

If your gonna use small thighs, fill the box with 9 pieces.

7/8 but nice job for first time out!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2010, 10:03 PM   #9
Contracted Cookers
is one Smokin' Farker

did you shut the the lid with that thick of garnish around the edge . I would say 6 just average
Contracted Cookers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2010, 10:20 PM   #10
nthole
Babbling Farker

I would give it a 7. Would have been higher WITHOUT the garnish. Garnish isn't supposed to help the score, but it can sure lower it easily. Cut it WAY back and get the meat sitting up.

Black marks, a little uneveness and two thighs much darker than the others.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2010, 09:01 AM   #11
Capn Kev
is one Smokin' Farker

7 in my opinion. Fix the garnish, and add more meat. I'm not a fan of the char marks, and there appears to be a bit too much sauce.
FEC-100, REC TEC Grill, WSM 22.5", UDS, KCBS CBJ #54829
[/SIZE]
Capn Kev is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2010, 09:17 AM   #12
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Strong 7 imo. Nice job, you wold get a kick out of our first box!!!!

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2010, 10:12 AM   #13
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Good advice from all!
Some things I've learned the hard way on turn in boxes:
1) You want the meat to be in the spotlight - If you open the box and your eye is drawn to anything but the meat first, start over.
2) There should not be any garnish hanging out of the edges of the box.
3) Think of the garnish like the frame on a beautiful painting, it should compliment it or hardly be noticeable at all... see #1
4) Uniformity of the meat is important, think of it this way, if you're at a buddy's house and both of you are going back for another thigh and only 2 are left, 1 small and 1 extra large, one of you is gonna feel robbed cuz you got the small 1... don't make the judges feel like they're getting ripped off by having to settle for the small one.
5) While too much garnish is bad, you do want to have enough in the box to 1) help hold the meat in place. 2) Raise the meat up so that it doesn't look like it's sitting in a hole, but more of a platform or pedestal.

While I am certainly not a CBJ, I would give myself a 6 if that was my box for reasons stated above.

As for glaze/apperance of the chicken, black spots/uniformity of color, keep in mind that when you or I cook food, we know why it looks the way it does (i.e. too dark cuz a temp spike or too heavy smoke etc...) but the judge is only guessing if they try to speculate on why it looks the way it does, or why "that one looks different from the others, did they mean to put it in there??"

Believe me, I've made some real dumb mistakes (like turning in sliced breast (was incredible stuff IMO) and then adding 2 drums, 2 thighs and 2 wings. Not only was the box too full and akward looking, but the judges are supposed to take a piece of each type of meat offered, so really I needed sliced breast and 6 drums, 6 thighs and 6 wings for it to work properly... )

Thanks for sharing your thighs! Keep trying! Look forward to seeing your next attempt!

Side note, something I plan on doing this year is taking pics of my turn in boxes, never done it before but I realize it's more important than I might have thought...

While I didn't have any boxes to pack my practice thighs in (and they are not uniform in size since I was only practicing the overall cook and glazing) - I hope I'm able to duplicate thighs like these this summer...

On the pellet pooper for 5 hrs.

And that skin bites right thru!! You can even see the bite marks!

“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-30-2010, 09:01 PM   #14
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

I figured after posting I had sunk the chicken in the garnish, when I shut the lid I had sauce on top, a little high in the box. The skin was like a chicken baked in the oven, no crispness, reminded me of a turkey skin under foil. I'll have to read Pauls instructions again. Thanks for comments,

Old 04-30-2010, 09:02 PM   #15
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
Good advice from all!
Some things I've learned the hard way on turn in boxes:
1) You want the meat to be in the spotlight - If you open the box and your eye is drawn to anything but the meat first, start over.
2) There should not be any garnish hanging out of the edges of the box.
3) Think of the garnish like the frame on a beautiful painting, it should compliment it or hardly be noticeable at all... see #1
4) Uniformity of the meat is important, think of it this way, if you're at a buddy's house and both of you are going back for another thigh and only 2 are left, 1 small and 1 extra large, one of you is gonna feel robbed cuz you got the small 1... don't make the judges feel like they're getting ripped off by having to settle for the small one.
5) While too much garnish is bad, you do want to have enough in the box to 1) help hold the meat in place. 2) Raise the meat up so that it doesn't look like it's sitting in a hole, but more of a platform or pedestal.

While I am certainly not a CBJ, I would give myself a 6 if that was my box for reasons stated above.

As for glaze/apperance of the chicken, black spots/uniformity of color, keep in mind that when you or I cook food, we know why it looks the way it does (i.e. too dark cuz a temp spike or too heavy smoke etc...) but the judge is only guessing if they try to speculate on why it looks the way it does, or why "that one looks different from the others, did they mean to put it in there??"

Believe me, I've made some real dumb mistakes (like turning in sliced breast (was incredible stuff IMO) and then adding 2 drums, 2 thighs and 2 wings. Not only was the box too full and akward looking, but the judges are supposed to take a piece of each type of meat offered, so really I needed sliced breast and 6 drums, 6 thighs and 6 wings for it to work properly... )

Thanks for sharing your thighs! Keep trying! Look forward to seeing your next attempt!

Side note, something I plan on doing this year is taking pics of my turn in boxes, never done it before but I realize it's more important than I might have thought...

While I didn't have any boxes to pack my practice thighs in (and they are not uniform in size since I was only practicing the overall cook and glazing) - I hope I'm able to duplicate thighs like these this summer...

On the pellet pooper for 5 hrs.

And that skin bites right thru!! You can even see the bite marks!

Nice looking