Pork shoulder-butt..foil, no foil?

energyzer

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
What is your technique? I have a 6.8lb on the UDS right now. Temp at 147*. Should I foil at 160 or no foil?

I normally don't foil. I did for the first time a few weeks ago on a whole shoulder that was in a long stall & I didn't want the bark to get any more charred. I believe the general rule (rules...:heh:) is no foil for lower temps and do foil for higher temps. I personally would hold off on the foil unless the stall is getting too long or the bark is getting too dark for your liking.

I never foil, but if time is an issue you might want to use it. Your stall about 160* could take a few hrs before the internal temp starts to rise again, then a couple more hrs to reach 195* - 200*. Their is no determined time of how long the stall will last.

Pork butt/shoulder has so much fat content, IMO, there is never ever any reason to waste money on foil. Butts and picnics are the only thing I can consistently do right. They're pretty much bullet proof.

I think my stall hit about 144*. It sat there for 2-3 hours before it started to move again. I put this thing on (6.8lb) at 10:40am and it is currently at 165*. It is just taking a crazy long time.

I think my stall hit about 144*. It sat there for 2-3 hours before it started to move again. I put this thing on (6.8lb) at 10:40am and it is currently at 165*. It is just taking a crazy long time.

I smoke mine at around 275, and the stall is much shorter :)

Did a 8 lb. picnic roast last night, dropped it at 8:30 pm, was done at 3:30 am. That's 7 hours, and it was very well rendered, pulled at around 198.

I think many people get too locked into the "225" thing. Smoke 'em faster, better results, since the meat doesn't tend to dry out as much. After all, most of the best BBQ joints in the universe cook their meats between 275-325. How can you argue with that?

For competition, I cook them at 275, wrap at 165 and they're usually done (195 IT) in 8 hours or less, very predictable.

At home I cook them at 225, rarely foil, and they're done when they're done. These usually go on at midnight, come off some time the next afternoon and rest in the Cambro 'til dinner time.

Foil only if you need to get it done faster. Have another adult beverage and it'll be done when it's done.

update, 177*. over 12 hours now. never thought it would take this long.

Back