Really dry splits

Gersidi

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi farkers! Been awhile since I posted but here goes.

I got a ton of hickory left that's been sitting around for years, it's been split and it reads at around 8% moisture. Problem is I have a Lang 60 and I run a nice clean fire, even with the dampers dialed way down. I get very little smoke flavor (everyone's opinion). I realize dry wood is likely the main culprit, but is there anything I could do here to improve the smoke a lil bit? Would fudging with the exhaust help?

Use the biggest logs you have.

2nd choice... close exhaust some and hopefully it should smolder a little.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Problem is if I put whole logs in I get bad combustion right away. Bad plastic smell, white smoke. Dunno. I get it with 12" popcan diameter splits if I close the firebox before they fully Ash over.

I've cooked with some pretty dry wood before and I've never gotten white smoke from it. If anything, it burns too fast and easily and kicks up some black soot stuff but the only time I've gotten white smoke is from smoldering.

If the volatile chemicals have dried out or broken down, there is no adding them back. It’s like an old spice bottle that while not spoiled, simply doesn’t have the flavor it had when new.

^^^^This, don't mess with the airflow just add a green log or chunks to the odd stuff.

Does he have green wood?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So really dry wood affects smoke flavor? I have noticed a much lighter smoke flavor cooking on my Lang 48, but I have been using the kiln dried mini splits (hickory) from Cabella's.

Back