MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
okiej
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff
Default Whole trimmed same as packer?

I usually buy whole packer trim briskets around 14#. The store changed hands and now they have what they called whole trimmed brisket. Is that the same thing. They were also around 14#. and also usda angus. I went to Walmart and their's just said beef brisket and was about 14#. It said usda select though. I know how to trim the packers, but am not sure if a whole trimmed brisket is the same thing. Thanks for any help. I don't want to waste $50 and my time on a cut I'm not familiar with right now.
okiej is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
scp
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Barry

Look at it...if it's the same...it's the same...but in my mind yes they are the same based on description.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

I've bought both and the trimmed ones seem to just be packers with fat cap trimmed down. Your paying extra for the work that went into it.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
okiej
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Thanks. That's what I had decided. But I figure if anyone knew. The good folks here would. All the different names for meat can be confusing at times.
okiej is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If it says brisket then it is either the flat of a whole packer. No way you are getting a flat at 14 pounds so it must be a whole packer that was trimmed..

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2013, 02:17 AM   #6
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

Same but more $$$.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'm sure it was just a typo because 'Angus' is not a USDA grade of meat.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #8
Porcine Perfection
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
If it says brisket then it is either the flat of a whole packer. No way you are getting a flat at 14 pounds so it must be a whole packer that was trimmed..
Maybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiej View Post
Thanks. That's what I had decided. But I figure if anyone knew. The good folks here would. All the different names for meat can be confusing at times.
And that is how they want to keep you so they can raise prices.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
Bludawg

A trimmed Brisket is not a Packer but it is a Full Brisket. Around here a packer is <2.18 lb What they call "Market Trim" (devoid of almost all fat) is 4.75 lb For 2.57 a lb savings I'll play with my own meat cause I know how I like it. Like my Ma tole me as a wee lad "Sonny Boy Don't let another man play wif yer meat"

Old 09-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #10
bvbull200
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Like my Ma tole me as a wee lad "Sonny Boy Don't let another man play wif yer meat"
And if the "butcher" is an attractive female?

Old 09-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #11
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvbull200 View Post
And if the "butcher" is an attractive female?
That changes everything!

What if the buyer is an attractive female as well?

Well ... I ... Uh ... just better not go there!

On a somewhat related subject, I was wondering what determines the size of a brisket. Not so long ago the biggest one I could find at Sam's was about six pounds. A couple weeks ago they had a couple that were fourteen pounds. I think the big ones were actually packers (which is a first because I'm pretty sure I've only ever found flats at Sam's.) That got me to wondering if the difference in size was more a result of the size of the steer it comes from or more the way it was cut. Of course a packer will weigh more than a flat, but I think there is a lot of distance between a 14 pound packer and 5 pound flat.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #12
Bludawg

If you find a Brisket under 9 lb chances are some one lopped off a chunk of the Flat. I won't touch anything that is not a full packer at least 12 lb and I cook for one 80&#37; of the time. I get the Point and if the oldfolks home don't want the Flat my dawg is spoiled for a week.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #13
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

there been ALOT of 9 pounder packer briskets up these parts as of late.

no lopping.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote