MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
Coldholler
Full Fledged Farker

Lightbulb Smoked turkey SOUP!

So I smoked a couple of turkeys last week, and elevated one from the bottom of a big, cast iron skillet by setting it over carrots. The juice, carrots, and onions were as smoky as the turkey after 5 hours of 250d split oak chunk smoke. Didn't occur to me that the carcass, extra meat, drippings, and soaked carrots, mixed with broth and egg noodles, would yield such smoky goodness!

So, ladies and gentlemen, I smoked a soup!

Old 11-29-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
cameraman
Babbling Farker

Amen bro. I just finished a bowl of smoked split pea soup made from the turkey carcass and aromatics. Mmm mmmm good.
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp[/COLOR]
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
MadCityJim
On the road to being a farker

Don't forget that smoked turkey gravy is great too! I use the smoked wings and necks to make a stock for Thanksgiving gravy. And then I took the leftover smoked turkey carcass to make another batch of smoked turkey stock to use for gravy really soon too.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]-Weber OTG, Weber OTS, Weber Smokey Joe Gold, Smokenator, Stoker[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]-[COLOR=green]SuperFast WaterProof [B]GREEN[/B] Thermapen[/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=indigo][FONT=Comic Sans MS][B]-Proud architect of: [/B][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90573"][B]Smoked Mac-N-Cheese with Bourbon and Bacon[/B][/URL][B], [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92062"][B]Big Bad BLT Platter[/B][/URL], [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85744"][B]Whole Suckling Pig In My ProQ Excel 20[/B][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]
MadCityJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
Coldholler
Full Fledged Farker

Very nice -- thanks guys -- the possibilities are limitless!

Old 11-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Ya know, if you took a nice picture of it I bet it would be a fantastic entry into the Leftover Throwdown
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #6
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Did the same with my turk. Threw in some veggies and put it all in a blender until smooth. Boy, was it good and smokey with some nice bread.