MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:03 PM   #1
Pstores
is One Chatty Farker

Default Boat Grill Questions

Been gone for awhile. I am looking for a portable, storable grill for about 5-6 people. Thought about the Trager PTB but think the grilling area is alittle small. Burgers, brat, dogs and such. Like charcoal and pellets over gas. Ideas? Also be nice to put a cast iron flat top on it for Breakfest.
Lone Star Grillz Large with reversed cart, Meadow Creek TS120p insulated firebox and stainless front shelf. Sent to a better home to be used like a stick burner should be. Weber Charcoal Summit, Cabelas Pro 100, ready to build UDS, Retired the Big Green Egg XL and Treager 070....
Pstores is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2018, 09:10 PM   #2
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

When you say "boat grill" are you just referring to transport or are you actually grilling with it on a boat?

The only boat grills I am familiar with are on gimbals so they stay level while the boat rolls with ocean waves.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:16 PM   #3
Demosthenes9
is Blowin Smoke!

Weber Jumbo Joe.
Demosthenes9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2018, 09:18 PM   #4
Pstores
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
When you say "boat grill" are you just referring to transport or are you actually grilling with it on a boat?

The only boat grills I am familiar with are on gimbals so they stay level while the boat rolls with ocean waves.
No ocean here. But yes grill on and off the boat. 23 foot Cuddy.
Lone Star Grillz Large with reversed cart, Meadow Creek TS120p insulated firebox and stainless front shelf. Sent to a better home to be used like a stick burner should be. Weber Charcoal Summit, Cabelas Pro 100, ready to build UDS, Retired the Big Green Egg XL and Treager 070....

Old 02-13-2018, 09:18 PM   #5
pharp
Banned

Pit BarrellJunior!
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2018, 09:45 PM   #6
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Without making a little UDS with short legs, a jumbo joe might be the best option but I did find this, maybe? It is smaller.

Or: http://www.evasolo.com/en/house-and-...harcoal-grill/ maybe this is better. I have none yet.

Last edited by jermoQ; 12-10-2020 at 06:36 PM..
jermoQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2018, 11:39 PM   #7
Hankdad1
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

How about this.

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-121020-.../dp/B00004RALJ

And these.

https://www.grillgrate.com/grillgrat...nywhere-grill/

Old 02-14-2018, 12:24 AM   #8
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

I have one of those 'Firesense' Hibachi grills and it does cook nice but, no way would I want it on a boat. Charcoal grilling on boat is a real fire hazard unless you have the correct grill.

A small Weber kettle is the obvious answer, except for on boat grilling, for most people. The Weber Go Anywhere is another good choice for use 'off boat'. Both are small and lightweight for easy transport. The WGA would pack up a little easier so, it might be the best choice for you.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-14-2018, 12:24 AM   #9
homesmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

I run charcoal on my pontoon. Magma grill. All stainless. Old style with removable lid, rather than the newer styles which have the lids hinged.

Lives on the boat, but has a second mount for storage and trailering off the stern. Mounted for use off the front of my fenced area, and is accessed and utilized from the foredeck. Mount is an expandable screw style with large wing-nut handle, designed to fit in a standard recessed deck mount rod holder socket.
It is only used on the foredeck, which is about 18' away from my fuel tanks, batteries, and motor, with full open air in-between. No worry about fire onboard, but there is a marine extinguisher mounted within arms reach of the grill. Extinguisher is visible in picture 2 and 3.

I made mounts out of aluminum pipe, and can swivel the grill inboard when needed, and then move outboard over the water for use. When the handle is snugged down the grill is solid mounted and will not move until mount is released. Have only dropped a couple of things to the fishes

Grate screws down and adjusts via a center 1/2" threaded post. Has about 4" of travel. Lid is tethered to base, so no chance of dropping it overboard. Plenty of vent adjustment via the center lifting knob on lid.

Screaming hot to dampered down for low and slow. One load of charcoal will run for almost 4 hours when vents are closed, as it is not capable of complete closure on bottom vents, but lid vents can be 100% closed. It takes a bit of getting used to, but we have done ABT's, kabobs, steaks, chops, chicken, burgers, brats, etc.
Love it.

Sorry about the sideways pictures. Not smart enough to figure that out.

fullsizeoutput_c54.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

IMG_2092.jpg

Last edited by homesmoke; 02-14-2018 at 12:53 AM..
homesmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-14-2018, 12:29 AM   #10
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

That looks pretty nice on a calm lake. My limited experience is with sailboats so, I'm a bit shy of charcoal due to some rough water and can't see using a swing away grill.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:31 AM   #11
Joshw
Babbling Farker

I would be afraid of stray embers with a charcoal grill. Even a small ember, could get you some ugly burns on your carpet. Not to mention you do have fuel on board. Plus you would have to carry charcoal, and a way to start it. If I were going to go pellet, I would look into the rectec bullseye, or the green mountain davy crocket. I don't like gas.

Personally I wouldn't grill on my boat. If there are places you can dock, and go to shore, and gather wood. I would go with something like this.
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ..._ref=prd713910. Less to carry with you, and you get to play with fire.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2018, 12:36 AM   #12
homesmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
That looks pretty nice on a calm lake. My limited experience is with sailboats so, I'm a bit shy of charcoal due to some rough water and can't see using a swing away grill.
I also sail. International Jet, Thistle, and Islander 23. My toon is 28' and bridges 2-3's without spilling a drink, and is still comfortable in solid 4's.
But I am smart enough to not fire up the grill in rough water.
homesmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2018, 03:52 AM   #13
Shagbark
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstores View Post
Been gone for awhile. I am looking for a portable, storable grill for about 5-6 people. Thought about the Trager PTB but think the grilling area is alittle small. Burgers, brat, dogs and such. Like charcoal and pellets over gas. Ideas? Also be nice to put a cast iron flat top on it for Breakfest.
The Traeger PTG is compact and portable but will only feed 2 or 3 people. It'll hold about 6 burgers at one time with no room left for anything else.

Option. . . . . buy 2
Shagbark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2018, 04:36 AM   #14
Pstores
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for your input. I have been looking at the Magma. The mounts are nice. Mostly this wo I'll be for cooking on the beach. I'll have to look again at the Webers...

Old 02-14-2018, 05:59 AM   #15
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

All of it sounds like quite a bit of trouble- but if I just had to do something like this, I'd go with a small clamshell type of Propane cooker. Fab up some sort of brace that would get it to a good working height and hang over side on the railing.