MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
SUMA
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Big Chief for smoking cheese

Last summer I wanted to smoke up some cheese, but I didn't have a cold smoker. So I decided to convert my Big chief into a cold smoker ghetto style! I raised the racks up out of the smoker and mocked up a top with an old cardboard box I had laying around.
Cheese_03.gif

My first batch I did a cheddar and pepper jack for about 30mins. It was 10mins to long! The smoke taste was way too over bearing. the next batch I went about 15-20mins and it was perfect. My favorite is pepper jack with a hint of smoke.
Cheese_01.gif
Cheese_02.gif

This weekend I plan making a new top out of wood, any suggestion?

Also for Xmas I plan making gift baskets of Homemade jerky, smoke cheese and home brewed holiday beer! ... yes I am cheap!
SUMA is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 11-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
likeadeere
is one Smokin' Farker

Dude that is farkin awesome! Proof that smoking doesn't have to be complicated or expensive. If only the brethren knew how ghetto you really are! I'd better be gettin a gift basket....

Old 11-15-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
Bogus Chezz Hawg
is One Chatty Farker

I've smoked cheese in my kettle with great results...

I use only 6 briquets, let them cool down a bit, then add a small piece of water soaked wood. Who cut the cheese?

Old 11-15-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
btcg
Babbling Farker

Is that a box from one of those new 3d- 50 centimeter plama tv's? Reminds me of Michael Scott's plasma tv in the dinner party episode. ;)

Old 11-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
Riverside BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Nicely done! & nice TV!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Walt[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT]
Riverside BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2011, 10:52 PM   #6
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thats how we do it in Bothell - Little Chief style!

Great job!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2011, 11:18 PM   #7
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Very cool! I would be embarassed to show my ghetto rig that I hooked up to smoke cheese.... 10 feet of 5 inch pipe going into a Smokey Joe....

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2011, 11:26 PM   #8
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

That don't look all that bad - I use a 5 gallon Menard's pail for my Ugly Cheese Bucket or UCB .
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2011, 02:55 AM   #9
B-Lazy BBQ

Very ingenious and cheap. Nice work One suggestion if I may-you say that the smoke flavoring is overbearing after 20 minutes. I cold smoke my cheeses for anywhere between 3 and 4 hours, usually with apple or cherry. The trick is, after smoking, to wrap the cheese in plastic wrap and let it mellow in the fridge for anywhere up to a couple of weeks before consuming. The smoke particles are too fresh right off the smoker. JMHO, but I would venture to bet that if you try it this way, you'll like the results

Old 11-22-2011, 07:44 AM   #10
Arlin_MacRae

Awesome process and pron, bro!
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Lazy BBQ View Post
Very ingenious and cheap. Nice work One suggestion if I may-you say that the smoke flavoring is overbearing after 20 minutes. I cold smoke my cheeses for anywhere between 3 and 4 hours, usually with apple or cherry. The trick is, after smoking, to wrap the cheese in plastic wrap and let it mellow in the fridge for anywhere up to a couple of weeks before consuming. The smoke particles are too fresh right off the smoker. JMHO, but I would venture to bet that if you try it this way, you'll like the results
Interesting, this. Thanks for sharing that.

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2011, 09:46 AM   #11
SUMA
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I got the rid of the cardboard box for a top and made a wood top out of scrap wood in the garage.

Cheese_04.gif

It was a quick slap together, nothing special.

Thanks for all the replies!

@B-Lazy BBQ- thanks man! I am for sure going to try that!
SUMA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #12
gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMA View Post
...Also for Xmas I plan making gift baskets of Homemade jerky, smoke cheese and home brewed holiday beer! ... yes I am cheap! [/FONT][/SIZE]
Nothing is better than gifts that people have made themselves and put their time and pride into - that's not cheap, that's awesome! Anybody can buy stuff from a store - I suspect people getting yer baskets will be thrilled.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #13
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Lazy BBQ View Post
I'll vouch for that! I don't smoke for that long, but I usually vacu-suck my cheese and let it mellow for at least a couple of weeks before digging in.

I've also found that if you simply smoke some cheese cloth and then wrap unsmoked cheese in it and vac it, it will end up with the same great smoked cheese flavor without worrying about it being too smokey or any undesired meltyness... ...stupid provolone.

“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-22-2011, 11:41 PM   #14
B-Lazy BBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
I'll vouch for that! I don't smoke for that long, but I usually vacu-suck my cheese and let it mellow for at least a couple of weeks before digging in.
Every cold smoking rig is a bit different. The way my contraption runs, I get a very thin, almost thin blue smoke out of it and I need to smoke for a bit longer than most.

You can barely see the smoke

I run a modified grease drum with a smoke generator (with pellets), soldering iron and an aquarium air pump

Old 11-23-2011, 01:27 AM   #15
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Looks good!

“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote