MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:37 PM   #7951
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudg View Post
First of all I got a drum for my kiss UDS. The drum contained a water soluble coolant used for machine shop. I cut the top off and the inside has a black surface like a paint of sorts. I am able to cut right through it with a wire wheel down to bare metal. My concern is after I clean it up the steel surface is rough or porous its not smooth like some of the other drums I've seen. After burning all the paint off the outside with a weed burner the inside doesn't change much. Would this concern any of you and has anybody ever had any experience with this type of drum. My second question is my charcoal basket. I misread or misunderstood but I made a basket using a grate from a 22.5 grill so it is approx 18 inch diameter. Is this wide of a basket a good or bad thing. Thanks
If its down to bare metal you should be fine. Once you get a good seasoning in the drum you will never know since it will be covered in cooked on oil. 18" is fine for a fire basket. That is usually the base for most baskets that people make.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #7952
Rumblefish
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay871 View Post
Finished my second UDS, just waiting for the paint to cure for a week before I season it.
I like your lid. Mine is going to have a flat lid as well. 2 questions: With a flat lid, how far from the top is your grill grate, 2nd: how'd you get the caps on your lid? I was going to drill 8 holes and just use magnets to close them off, but your lid looks sharp.
Rumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2011, 09:45 PM   #7953
Jay871
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
I like your lid. Mine is going to have a flat lid as well. 2 questions: With a flat lid, how far from the top is your grill grate, 2nd: how'd you get the caps on your lid? I was going to drill 8 holes and just use magnets to close them off, but your lid looks sharp.
I have two grates, my first grate from the top is 4 inches and my second grate is 9 inches. As far as the caps, I used a 1" hole saw to drill the holes and a 3/4" pipe plug screws right in. I just primed them and painted them to match.
Jay871 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2011, 10:34 PM   #7954
Capozzoli
is one Smokin' Farker

Here is some progress photos of one of the two UDS I am building.

I posted this in another thread but not to many UDS people going through there so Ill post here too.

Have to install the intakes, season the inside and paint the outside, then they should be ready to go.

[url]http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/[/url]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]
Capozzoli is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2011, 10:55 PM   #7955
dkruks
Knows what a fatty is.

I find this thread very upsetting....I went out and Spent a crap load of money on a pellet grill, and then trying to figure out how to use the stupid thing I stumble upon this wonderful world of brethren, and I think to myself damn...I hit the information jackpot!

Then I find this thread....arg!!!

The "best" bbq coming off UDS's...made anywhere from $10-$100....You all know the amount of meat I could have bought with the money I spent on my pellet grill...

Now I have to explain to my wife that I need to stock pile more stuff in my garage until I can make an "Ugly Drum Smoker"! she's gonna say..."WHAT THE FARK IS THAT!!!!"...

will take me about 3 months to get permission, but i am confident that buy the end of summer I will have my own UDS.....

Thanks everyone! (and I truley so mean it...this site is awesome!)

Dave
dkruks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #7956
Jay871
Knows what a fatty is.

Workin' on some baby backs and I'm trying the foil method (3-2-1) and both times I took the lid off to foil and unfoil, I got a temp spike. Is the benefit of the foil method worth it to get a temp spike or should I just forget the foil and leave the lid on til they are done. I'm thinking it's not worth the hassle. Any opinions? I even shut the intake down a few minutes before taking the lid off!

Old 05-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #7957
brickie
Full Fledged Farker

Not an expert, but when I just did rib tips on my UDS I shut all intakes and closed exhaust down for 10 minutes before removing lid and never had any temp spikes..May not have gave it enough time.
brickie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2011, 04:11 PM   #7958
flyweed
Got Wood.

whenever you take the lid off on a UDS you'll get that dang temp spike.but it doesn't last too long, and has little effect. I like the foil method..but for baby backs, I only use the 2-2-1 method...spare ribs get the 3-2-1- method.

Dan

Old 05-22-2011, 04:39 PM   #7959
Jay871
Knows what a fatty is.

Thx brickie and flyweed makes sense sounds like some good advice. I will def try that next time. Pulling the ribs off now i will post some pron in a while.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #7960
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkruks View Post
I find this thread very upsetting....I went out and Spent a crap load of money on a pellet grill, and then trying to figure out how to use the stupid thing I stumble upon this wonderful world of brethren, and I think to myself damn...I hit the information jackpot!

The "best" bbq coming off UDS's...made anywhere from $10-$100....You all know the amount of meat I could have bought with the money I spent on my pellet grill...

Now I have to explain to my wife that I need to stock pile more stuff in my garage until I can make an "Ugly Drum Smoker"! she's gonna say..."WHAT THE FARK IS THAT!!!!"...

will take me about 3 months to get permission, but i am confident that buy the end of summer I will have my own UDS.....

Dave
Hey Dave, It's easier to get forgiveness than get permission. Happy Victoria Day!
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2011, 04:56 PM   #7961
jhnarial
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Seasoning test burn

BBQ 122.jpg

all 196.jpg

all 197.jpg

all 199.jpg

Leveled off around 3:30 hoping it will burn through midnight. Used a mix charcoal, lump, with a few chunks of wood. Only had enough to fill the basket 3/4 full so cross your fingers.

Good info in this thread, I used alot of it, hell I used all of it who am I fooling
jhnarial is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2011, 06:15 PM   #7962
colonel00

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnarial View Post

Leveled off around 3:30 hoping it will burn through midnight. Used a mix charcoal, lump, with a few chunks of wood. Only had enough to fill the basket 3/4 full so cross your fingers.

Good info in this thread, I used alot of it, hell I used all of it who am I fooling
Do a biscuit test while you have it running to test your diffuser. Just get some cheap mini biscuits and spread them randomly around your rack. You will be able to easily identify the hot and cool areas.

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 05-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #7963
colonel00

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkruks View Post

Dave
Easy enough, send pellet smoker here and I will exchange with a UDS.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #7964
Jay871
Knows what a fatty is.

Ribs didn't turn out too bad. They were a little lean so I thought they were a little dry. Took the left overs to the neighbors for a last minute get together and they devoured them. As always the fatties went like hot cakes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7145.jpg (65.5 KB, 930 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7146.jpg (79.9 KB, 925 views)

Old 05-23-2011, 07:07 AM   #7965
Prollo
Found some matches.

Great looking ribs!
Prollo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker