Need easy way to Shed Pork

pgyrogear

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am new to the pulled pork seen and have found it a pain to shred the pork after you cook it and was asking if anyone knows anything about these pork shredders you add to a drill (Roman $70, Ultimate $60 and Porkinator $40) do they work like they say or are they just a SCAM. The videos look great, quick and easy 10 to 20 lbs of pork in a fraction of time, shredding made easy.

Thanks
Pgyrogear

These work really well. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/MeatRake-MR1-Meatrake/dp/B004P5B81Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356419349&sr=8-1&keywords=meat+rakes"]Amazon.com: Meatrake: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Turkey lifters or forks work well too.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/RSVP-Endurance-Stainless-Turkey-Lifter/dp/B000F7JXLA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356421867&sr=8-1&keywords=turkey+fork+lifters"]RSVP Endurance Stainless Steel Turkey Lifter, Set of 2: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

If it is done right you pull the bone out and slap it with the palm of your hand. Take it to 200 deg.

NUTZ

Give some details on your cook, you should be able to pull by hand, no need for fancy tools.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

I use one of these
ALI_HTP12.jpg

Hit it 4-5 times and it is ready to go.

The roman works real good,However to get a feel of how good before the purchase I used the end of my rotissere spike. Push the forked end to the end of the bar and put it into the drill, be easy on it, put the butts in a deep stock pot and go for it .

If you have to use a power tool or a Vitamix, your meat might not be done yet! :loco:

Last edited:
If you like shredded pork (definitely NOT my favorite), bear claws does very good, forks can do just as good. But, like offthehook said, you may not be cooking it long enough, because to some degree it should be falling apart.

Me, I like pulled pork left in small chunks roughly the size of your thumb because they hold moisture much better and retain their taste better, and this is done best with your hands.

I love my Roman ..works great and speeds up process. I agree with the above statements that it shouldn't pull hard, but the Roman is great for large quantities

We made our pork puller. Used some SS bolts.
It works fine for 1 pork butt at a time. It is easy to over shred it.
First we go throught all the meat and get all of the fat out and then hit it with the shredder. Takes about 2 minutes to shred.

IMG_3858.jpg

IMG_3857.jpg

if you cook it right it aint all that hard; slid out the bone slap it once or twice to spread it out and tear it into pieces. I can do 1 butt in 3 min with bare hands.

I cooked 50 butts to 210 and pulled them with a Roman Pork Puller in no time. Take off what's left of the fat cap, pull the blade bone out and drop two in a turkey fryer pot on the floor and hold the pot with your feet.
Bear Claws (or forks) are great for just a few.

Back