ECB Mod Pics and Lid Seal Question

dannytp

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've been wanting to do some mods to the ECB Gourmet for a while now, but just kept putting it off. I really haven't used it much considering how long it's been in the yard. It's a PITA trying to use it the way it comes so I tend to use the kettle instead.

Here's a pic of it before starting. I'm sure you've all seen these before. The paint is faded and turning my hands green when I touch it.
dscf0248.jpg

First off, I added a grate from a 18.5" Weber to the charcoal pan supported by stainless bolts.
dscf0251.jpg

Then using a Weber damper as a template, I cut some new ones out of a sheet of aluminum and drilled holes in the lid and base. You can see I also used a piece of scrap to cover the original hole.
dscf0253.jpg

The dampers in place on the base.
dscf0258.jpg

The lid vent. You can also see how bad the handles are.
dscf0252.jpg

New thermo added. You can see what the original finish looked like underneath where the sticker was.
dscf0259.jpg

The vent control on the base.
dscf0260.jpg

Handles cleaned up with new oak on them.
dscf0261.jpg

Repainted and put back together.
dscf0263.jpg

I'd be interested in ideas to seal around the lid without using stove rope. I bought some as I've seen how plenty of people have used it. I was getting ready to put it on and didn't realize how many glass fibers it was shedding. When I looked at the lid it was almost covered with them. At this point it occurred to me that I was breathing all that crap in.:doh: Even though it was only for a few minutes, it made me cough for a while and ended up giving me a sore throat. I've decided that I don't want it around my food as it would always be in the back of my mind.

There's not that much of a gap around the lid. I was wondering if anyone has used anything else to seal it up. I know that foil would work, but I'd prefer something a little more permanent. Any ideas would be appreciated.

How about straight Permatex Red or Copper? Im going to use it on my Egg. Great job btw. That's a lot of work but sure looks nice.

you did the same as me, then i converted it to propane! haha.

looks good though! have fun usin it

How about straight Permatex Red or Copper? Im going to use it on my Egg.

I've considered using it. I just wasn't sure how well it would hold up with the way the lid fits inside of the body. I also thought about using high temp silicone tubing, but wondered if it being hollow would present a problem. I was just curious if anyone had experience with some other methods of making a seal.

Back