MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
Robert_N
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Weber Summit S-420 Restoration Advice (photos)

Hello all,

I recently picked up a second-hand Weber Summit S-420, and I'll be making it my pre-spring project to restore it to like-new condition. I don't have much experience with BBQ maintenance/restoration, so a little guidance would be most appreciated.

I have no problem buying replacement parts as long as it still works out to be cost effective in comparison to purchasing the grill brand new. I spent $650 on it, so as long as I can keep the cost of replacement parts in the $400-500 range I'll be happy.

I've posted some photos below. If you could let me know your thoughts on which parts need to be replaced or just plain old deep-cleaned it would be a huge help. As for the best way to give it a deep clean, what's the recommended approach? I've read that pressure washers (with some mild detergent) are the way to go. I've also picked up some Bar Keeper's Friend to make some finishing touches on the stainless steel later on in the process.

Lid: (Photo 1 + Photo 2)
Brown/black burnt spots towards the bottom of the lid near the handle. This is just grease buildup right?

Doors - Exterior (Photo 3)
There's a lot of visible smudging on the doors, most likely caused by something the previous owner was trying to clean it with. The doors are currently being held shut with a piece of elastic because the magnets have become detached from the inside of the door (additional photos to follow)

Inside of Doors + Interior Assembly (Photos 4-8 ):
The next few photos will explain why the magnets can no longer hold the doors closed. The Interior of Doors and Bottom Panel appear to have rust damage. The bottom panel is actually starting to peel upwards. Wasn't this panel supposed to be constructed of steel? What material is peeling up? It can't be paint right? Not looking good here...

Is it recommended to replace the bottom panel and both doors? This area is my biggest concern.

Since this would be a pretty major replacement, I would assume that I'd have to take the whole grill apart. Are there any additional factors I should consider before doing something like this? For instance, maybe there are some connecting parts that appear to be in solid/acceptable condition (i.e. left and right frame assembly) that wouldn't normally need to be replaced but have rusty/stripped screws. I just don't want to start taking this thing apart and coming out with more problems than I started with.

Handle Light (Photo 9):
This piece (along with the knobs) are stained and discolored. Is this something a pressure washer can take care of, or would I want to replace these?

Grates/Flavorizer Bars (Photo 10):
I should be fine here. From what I've read, it is best to turn the grill on high with the lid closed for about 15 mins, then remove any remaining particles with a brush. Is that right or will I want to go a little deeper here?

Anything else that I didn't mention? I forgot to take a photo of the side burner, but I can post that at a later time. No immediate concerns there.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. If you need additional info or would like to see photos of parts or angles not already pictured, just let me know. I'm really looking forward to seeing what I can do with this! I plan on getting started in the next few weeks or so as soon as this nasty winter is gone for good.

-Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-02-03 16.39.45.jpg (119.8 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-02-03 16.40.08.jpg (118.3 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-02-03 16.40.36.jpg (109.9 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-02-03 16.40.58.jpg (124.5 KB, 271 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-02-03 16.41.10.jpg (128.5 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-02-03 16.41.22.jpg (32.9 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-02-03 16.41.58.jpg (151.9 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-02-03 16.42.06.jpg (165.3 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-02-03 16.42.39.jpg (120.0 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-02-03 16.42.56.jpg (142.9 KB, 272 views)
Robert_N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 11:47 PM   #2
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

If you want some awesome tips and probably all the info you need on a restore, search for "The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board." Those guys have a ton of gas grill restores over there on the Gas Grills section on old gassers and new ones too. Probably all the info you need there. Where I got my plans for my mini WSM. Lots of great info on everything Weber, those guys are Weber crazy! That's a good looking grill to have to work on though for sure, expensive model. I need to do some work on my cheap little Spirit E-310.

Looks like to me all that needs replacing maybe is that very bottom piece of metal unless you just wanna bend it and spray some patching paint on. You can call Weber, give them the model and serial number and they will hook you up. I know a guy called because his table was cracked to pieces and they sent him a free one. They may do that since it looks pretty rusted and isn't that old of a grill. Weber has the best customer service around for such a large company.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
benniesdad
Full Fledged Farker

I have one just like this and it is pretty awesome gasser. I pulled out my manual and it apprears that the bottom panel can be ordered separately. It is hard to tell from the pictures the true condition of the doors. The flavorizer bars look to be in good shape. How are the burners and the igniters? Turning on the high heat and using a brush is good for normal maintenance, but you still need to periodically do a more thorough cleaning to prevent build ups. The Summit hits some really high temps and burns most stuff up but it doesn't get everything and builds up some crud over time. If it were me, I would do a good deep cleaning since you are going to be pulling it apart anyway. Good find. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
DannyMac
Full Fledged Farker

Nice looking grill. Webers are quite easy and fun to rehab. I have done several on one's pulled out of trash piles. As noted above, Weber is very generous with their warranties. They FedEx a free lower box to me one day after I called on a restoration I did for a friend. As for the interior, I usually use oven cleaner and a razor blade. See the link for results.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=109746

Good luck.
DannyMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

This is a great project and some fabulous advice and links above. read everything you can and then go for it. Please post pics along the way. Good Luck.
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
Grain Belt
is one Smokin' Farker

It looks like a very restorable grill. I have an older Summit Silver C four burner that I picked up last year. I am in the process of working on it a bit myself. I am impressed with it's high BTU's and hope to have a 20 year grill on my hands after a little work. I have ordered a few parts from a few different sources and they seem to all be within 10% of each other as far as prices. One thing I did do was go to a local Ace hardware that had a good amount of parts. I grabbed a rotisserie, some heavy stainless grates and a smoker kit (retail of about $350+) I offered the manager $150 and he took the cash! I am thinking of ordering some flavorizer bars in the near future and I think I will be set for a while.
Grain Belt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
Motley Q
On the road to being a farker

What's up with that grill. The firebox and the grates look almost unused but the lower inside of it is somewhat rusted out. Did the owner leave it out with the lid open?

I doubt you will have to spend almost $500 for repairs.

But,

Why would you possibly spend $1150 when you could a used one in good condition for $800-1000, bought a floor model for a little more or bought a new one for $1350??

I use greased lightning to clean everything, and i mean everything. A pressure washer on burned stainless does nothing. The stainless can be cleaned with fine steel wool..if it's really stainless steel. Rub with the grain. Bar keepers friend to finish.

Last edited by Motley Q; 02-27-2013 at 01:33 PM..
Motley Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2013, 06:41 AM   #8
Robert_N
Got rid of the matchlight.

Thanks all for the great advice, I'm excited to get started on it.

rcbaughn - thanks for the tip on the The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board, I haven't heard of it before but it looks like a fantastic resource. It would be amazing if Weber customer service could help me out, but from what I understand the warranties are not transferrable, which would mean I'm out of luck as a second-hand owner (hoping that's not the case though).

DannyMac - great work on your restoration job. My little one's only 10 weeks old, so I'm going to have to tackle this one on my own. I keep hearing about how generous Weber's customer service staff is, has anyone had experience working with them on second-hand products?

Motley Q - I see what you're saying, but to be honest I purchased this thing sight unseen from craigslist based on the exterior photos (I know, I know..)
I arranged for a delivery driver to pick it up from two hours away, so I didn't even pick it up in person, and by the time it arrived, I figured it was just too much trouble to bother trying to send it back or raise it with the seller so I chalked it up as a lesson learned. Nonetheless, it's still a great grill for a great price, even if it needs a bit more work than I initially anticipated.

Stay tuned for progress photos in the coming weeks. Thanks again all!
Robert_N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #9
DannyMac
Full Fledged Farker

Robert,

I don't think the warranty would be lost upon resale. I don't know that I have ever been asked. They just ask for the serial number. Make sure that you write it down prior to cleaning the grill. I've washed one off before. They still honored the warranty though. Weber customer service is great.
DannyMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #10
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Yes, unless they bring it up I wouldn't mention anything about a resell or you being second owner. That has never come up on the few parts I've got.

Tags
cleaning, restoration, s420, summit, Weber