MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-06-2017, 02:17 PM   #1
pmbasile06
Found some matches.

Default First UDS build

Finally got my hands on a free Craigslist 55 gallon barrel. I have done a little research on building a UDS barrel smoker but now that I have my barre, I am realizing that a sealed barrel is a little more complicated to deal with. I have tools and am confident I can remove the lid, however, I like the look of the flat top lid as opposed to the Weber dome style lid that seems to be much more popular on sealed barrels.

Does anybody have any experience on using a flat lid on a sealed barrel drum? How did you go about saving the top and creating an air tight seal? I can go back and get another barrel to cut another lid off but I don't know if that will help. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!
pmbasile06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2017, 02:52 PM   #2
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Someone posted this, somewhere. and I saved it.

I'd cut at around 3-4 o'clock.
I own a angle grinder, but I grew up using a metal file for this sort of thing, too. Post what tools you own, and I'm sure someone can help you.

Last edited by dadsr4; 07-07-2017 at 02:25 PM..
dadsr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2017, 05:18 PM   #3
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

Grind here and you can use the OEM lid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 382.jpg (22.3 KB, 152 views)

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-07-2017, 11:34 AM   #4
pmbasile06
Found some matches.

I have an angle grinder, chisels, basic hand tools, sawzall. I work in the trades so if I don't have a tool I probably work with somebody that does and have access to using it.

Yellowhair, how do you create an air tight seal grinding off at that spot?

Old 07-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #5
PorkinButts82
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbasile06 View Post
I have an angle grinder, chisels, basic hand tools, sawzall. I work in the trades so if I don't have a tool I probably work with somebody that does and have access to using it.

Yellowhair, how do you create an air tight seal grinding off at that spot?
After a few cooks the drum will create is own gasket/seal.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
PorkinButts82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2017, 01:20 PM   #6
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

That is a rolled/crimped edge. You are just removing the under part (crimp) that holds that end on. You should be able to just set the lid back on top.
Don't cut to high, or your lid could blow off on windy days.
You could cut the under side edge of the rolled edge. A small amount of prying, and you should have a good fit and seal.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2017, 02:36 PM   #7
pmbasile06
Found some matches.

Alright sounds good. So it sounds like I grind through the lid but I don't go through the barrel. I should be able to handle that.

One more question; is there any trouble keeping condensation from the flat lid from dripping onto meat? Any suggestions to divert it away?

Old 07-07-2017, 06:25 PM   #8
chargrill2369
On the road to being a farker

I have a flat lid and nothing happens when smoking. Only time I had water problem was when I put a big pan of water in there. I do not do that very often as I do not find the need. I would just put tin foil over the meat. Good luck with your build. I can send you a photo of my uds if you want. Also consider taking it to a sand blaster. It will cost a bit more but worth it for time.
chargrill2369 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2017, 07:21 AM   #9
pmbasile06
Found some matches.

10-4. Thanks for the help all, I will post pictures throughout the process

Tags
uds, uds build