Memphis In May - Winning Rib(s) pic

Lake Dogs

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
NewImage.jpg

I, personally, would complain first about an on-site to begin with (me, being me). The garnish (like in this photo) really isn't significant as compared to all the other stuff you must/should do to get a really good on-site presentation. For example, to be able to accomodate the on-site visits (plus having enough for finals) you'll cook pretty much 12+- racks of ribs. For whole shoulder you'll cook a MINIMUM of 6 18-20# shoulders; we cook 7 or 8. Even though I really like it, it surely would be nice to just do a blind turn-in and go on to the next thing... It's a nice difference from the KCBS/FBA thing. There are those who also complain about the on-site favoring the larger more glitzy teams. My experience has been different though (smaller less-glitzy team), as we seem to get fine scores on-site.

Garnish, in a blind box; little different debate/argument, IMHO. But, I didnt show/present this to argue/debate. It was merely a pron thing for anyone curious.

One could also comment on that it's Memphis In May; I would think they preferred a Memphis Style rib (sans sauce). Apparently they didnt, on this day...

LOL. The problem would be the uniform (or lack there-of). You really wouldn't want to meet most of the cooks . . . nude. :idea:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
One could also comment on that it's Memphis In May; I would think they preferred a Memphis Style rib (sans sauce). Apparently they didnt, on this day...

Judged MIM/MBN (whatever) contests for 3 years (2004 through 2006)
and can't ever remember seeing a dry memphis style rib.

Judged MIM/MBN (whatever) contests for 3 years (2004 through 2006)
and can't ever remember seeing a dry memphis style rib.

I'll be darned. I became certified MIM in 2005. 2005-2007 I'd see 70%+- come across the table sans sauce. That's changed over the years. I haven't judged this year, but from what I hear it's down to 10% (sans sauce) now. Regional thing? I dont know. I've now gone over to the dark side and I prefer to compete vs. judge, although I'll still judge a few this fall...

Interesting that you'd seen the opposite (mostly with sauce). I wonder if it's regional, or more competition to competition? Dont know...

I, personally, would complain first about an on-site to begin with (me, being me). The garnish (like in this photo) really isn't significant as compared to all the other stuff you must/should do to get a really good on-site presentation. For example, to be able to accomodate the on-site visits (plus having enough for finals) you'll cook pretty much 12+- racks of ribs. For whole shoulder you'll cook a MINIMUM of 6 18-20# shoulders; we cook 7 or 8. Even though I really like it, it surely would be nice to just do a blind turn-in and go on to the next thing... It's a nice difference from the KCBS/FBA thing. There are those who also complain about the on-site favoring the larger more glitzy teams. My experience has been different though (smaller less-glitzy team), as we seem to get fine scores on-site.

Garnish, in a blind box; little different debate/argument, IMHO. But, I didnt show/present this to argue/debate. It was merely a pron thing for anyone curious.

I don't mean to start a debate either. I appreciate seeing the pic. Very cool.

That said, I was on a panel with Kell Phelps and Randy of MBN and a MBN cook asked me when KCBS was going to finally get rid of garnish. I wish I would have had this picture in my back pocket. The most gratuitous use of garnish ever. $50 worth of greens for a $15 rack of ribs. :thumb:

That pit doesn't even look like it was cooked on.

It probably wasnt (ever cooked on). Lonnie tends to bring a lot of his smokers with him. In Memphis In May, only cooking 1 category like they do in this event, I'm sure he brought a few new ones to sell and then dress out like he did this one. While I'm not certain (I wasnt there), you're probably correct. The MBN comps that we cook at I'll get the meats done around 9am and then RUSH to get it cool enough to house our displays ($50 is about right) so that they aren't cooked along the way. Lonnie, being a maker of smokers, has a few luxuries that the rest of us schmucks dont have....

It is interesting to see what is valued/scored under different rules. As a KCBS judge, I'd find those less than completely appetizing in appearance - they just look like a gooey, dripping mess to me visually. I'm always looking for some characteristic that gets the taste buds worked up over the meat, and that just isn't a 9 for me. Thanks for the pic tho - educational!

Back