MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:33 AM   #1
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Default Christmas Turkey

Here's the Boondoggle Family Christmas Turkey!

I brined this for about 40 hours - 3/4 cup salt, 1 cup brown sugar, 3 quartered oranges, 4 quartered lemons, sprinkle of sage, rosemary and tarragon leaves and a shot of Jack. Then it was rubbed with Plowboy Yardbird and put back in the refridge for about 4 hours before smoking.

Stuffed it with more orange and lemon slices and cooked in an FEC using pecan pellets at about 300* until it reached 170* in the breast. Took about four hours (I think) - the first two uncovered directly on the rack, the second two in a pan and covered with foil (we didn't want it heavily smoked).

Frankly, this was probably the moistest and best turkey we have ever had for a family meal. Along with a spiral ham (oven cooked) the family ate off of it all weekend seemed quit happy and the compliments kept coming.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tur1.jpg (60.0 KB, 67 views)
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
pat
is Blowin Smoke!

Nice bird Bobby!

Have you tried Simply Marvelous Rubs yet??

Backwoods Party
Ole Hickory CTO
Large Big Green Egg
WSM X 2
Weber Performer
pat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

I bet that bird was great. Was the shot of Jack for the turkey or the cook? Thanks for the pron.
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2009, 10:55 AM   #4
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Great looking turkey! Your brine ingredients sound tasty too.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
Bogus Chezz Hawg
is One Chatty Farker

Looks good! I'm just wondering...Did the skin come out crispy, being covered at the end of the cook? I usually smoke my turkeys at 225-250 F for 2 to 3 hours and then I finish them in the oven uncovered to crisp the skin. I would rather do it your way if that works too.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

No the skin was not crispy. I didn't worry about the skin cause I know most were going to discard it anyway. I ate some just to test it and it was rubbery. But the breast was very moist and tender even the next day after warming it up.

The shot of Jack ended up in the brine - maybe I should have had one myself too.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote