MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
kwantz
Got Wood.

Default need some brisket advice

ok i had bad timeing, my brisket im guessing will be done in about an hour or so, the thick part of the brisket is getting really tender about 175 or so internal, the thin part is about 180 but still pretty tough, alot of resistance , and the point is like butter. its now 10:10 am, dinner isnt till 5 or 6, any good ideas to keep it warm, is it ok to rest for such a long period, if i have to whats the best way to warm it up without ruining anything?
kwantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

The good news is that it may not be ready in an hour.... The point usually is more tender when probing, don't ever worry about overcooking it.....concentrate on the flat. And from your description it's still not ready at the 180 degrees internal. So from a timing position, that's good.

First off, can you ramp the cooker temp down? This will drag out your cook, buy you some time, and let the flat ease out of the plateau and tender up.

When my briskets are done I wrap in double foil and hold in a cooler with wadded up newspaper for insulation. I like the long rests, 3 or 4 hours is no problem..... they are plenty hot when removed.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2009, 09:20 AM   #3
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

If you wrap and place in a cooler you won't have to reheat it. 5 hours is a long resting time. I will let someone with more experience give you advice on that though.

EDIT: And that person got their response in before me.

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote