?!?!? Help w/ Bone In Prime Rib Roast ?!?!?!

Michigan BBQ Fan

Take a breath!
Reaction score
HI Brethern,

I currently have defrosting a 3 Bone Prime Rib (Bone-In.) Excited to cook it but never done one before. I'm opening to smoking it (WSM 18.5) or whatever is going to make it AMAZING. Any tips or guidance would be appreciated...

TY.

HI Brethern,

I currently have defrosting a 3 Bone Prime Rib (Bone-In.) Excited to cook it but never done one before. I'm opening to smoking it (WSM 18.5) or whatever is going to make it AMAZING. Any tips or guidance would be appreciated...

TY.

Go low w/smoke, then high open flame, then low no smoke till it reaches 125F IT then no heat and wrap till it carries over to 130/135F ish. Then let it rest for 10 min and slice.

Let me be more specific, I use a PB that has a open flame slider, so i can smoke low at around 180F for 30 min, then crank it up and open the flame and sear, then close it, and go low around 225-250F till it reaches 125F

they are pretty simple. best advice I can give is to try and cook low, 250 or less. it will help prevent the bullseye effect. cook to your desired doneness and if you prefer sear over a hot grill for a few minutes. make sure you pull it 5° and rest before you sear

Low & slow. If you cook to high, you'll get the dreaded grey edge, not the end to end pink.
Reverse sear on the grill or a smokin' hot oven for about 5 minutes.

To really get the rub into it, trim the Fat cap down real thin and get that rub on the meat just like you would trim down a pork butt, Pecan, oak and a little chunk of mesquite is a nice combo.

I am also one to cut the bones off and smoke them side by side with the roast, that way you can get rub around the whole roast, unless your going for some cool presentation look I dont think the bones add any flavor, but if you smoke them you could either A. Eat them as a chef snack or B. Add them to your Au Jus to get a good beefy smoky flavor.

Go low w/smoke, then high open flame, then low no smoke till it reaches 125F IT then no heat and wrap till it carries over to 130/135F ish. Then let it rest for 10 min and slice.

Let me be more specific, I use a PB that has a open flame slider, so i can smoke low at around 180F for 30 min, then crank it up and open the flame and sear, then close it, and go low around 225-250F till it reaches 125F

Thanks for the HIGH/LOW/HIGH suggestion. I feel like some combo of that is going to be what I go with. Happy Smokin'

they are pretty simple. best advice I can give is to try and cook low, 250 or less. it will help prevent the bullseye effect. cook to your desired doneness and if you prefer sear over a hot grill for a few minutes. make sure you pull it 5° and rest before you sear

Thanks. I'm going to try and tune in the WSM to under 250 and let it go. What's the "bullseye effect"? What temp would you suggest for a final doneness of "medium-rare"? My wife likes it a bit more done but I may just toss her piece on the grill to finish it off.

I am also one to cut the bones off and smoke them side by side with the roast, that way you can get rub around the whole roast, unless your going for some cool presentation look I dont think the bones add any flavor, but if you smoke them you could either A. Eat them as a chef snack or B. Add them to your Au Jus to get a good beefy smoky flavor.

Thanks. Great tips here. I was considering getting the bones off for a better all around cook but yes, keeping them to snack on.

Does anybody tie their roast up before cooking?

About ready to start prep....

uc

Thanks. Any suggestions on a rub? I was thinking a fairly simple SPG.
I've done a number of Prime Rib Roasts. (Some with bones and some without) I like to use a Rosemary and Garlic rub / paste to use on it. This rub / paste ends up looking slightly burnt but it creates a delicious crust after the reverse sear. (Pieces with crust end up being the best bites)

I'll share this link to my last Prime Rib Roast cook that will show you how I did it. Unfortunately I was forced into cooking it to medium to make a number to "I want it well done" family members happy. I'd pull it at 115 to 120 if you want it medium rare.

Here's the link: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255387

Thanks. I'm going to try and tune in the WSM to under 250 and let it go. What's the "bullseye effect"? What temp would you suggest for a final doneness of "medium-rare"? My wife likes it a bit more done but I may just toss her piece on the grill to finish it off.

The bullseye effect is when the outer portion of meat is more done then the center.

For prime rib I'll go as high as 130, I cook at very low temp so carryover. 125 plus the rest/sear should get you there

It's prepped. Trimmed fat off so rub could get to the meat. Light mustard slather as a binder. Rub was a mix of coarse salt/pepper, granulated garlic and rosemary. Cut bones off but still going to cook them. Tied up roast so it's uniform in size....

uc

I've done a number of Prime Rib Roasts. (Some with bones and some without) I like to use a Rosemary and Garlic rub / paste to use on it. This rub / paste ends up looking slightly burnt but it creates a delicious crust after the reverse sear. (Pieces with crust end up being the best bites)

I'll share this link to my last Prime Rib Roast cook that will show you how I did it. Unfortunately I was forced into cooking it to medium to make a number to "I want it well done" family members happy. I'd pull it at 115 to 120 if you want it medium rare.

Here's the link: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255387

Thanks for pointing me to the link of your last cook. I will probably be taking it to 120plus as well.

The bullseye effect is when the outer portion of meat is more done then the center.

For prime rib I'll go as high as 130, I cook at very low temp so carryover. 125 plus the rest/sear should get you there

Thanks. I will aim for 125 internal before I pull and sear. Plan on searing on the same cooker so will need a few to get it hot enough.

Thanks. I will aim for 125 internal before I pull and sear. Plan on searing on the same cooker so will need a few to get it hot enough.
Just going to point out that I pulled my last one at 124 and it came out as medium after the sear. Reveiw the link for what it looked like on the plate. (very little pink)

Remember the carry over is going to continue cooking it another approximately 15 degrees after you pull it and then sear. Pulling at 125 is going to come out right around 140. 140 is more medium than medium rare. If you really want medium rare, I'd pull at the 113 to 115 range.

Good luck at post some pics for us to drool over! :hungry:

Pull at 115 at the highest and then sear. It will likely end up at 130 or so. If u pull at 125 and rest and then sear, you are looking at medium As husker states

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back