Pork rib rub rec

Viticulture

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Looking for a rib rub recipe that isn't the typical sweet / hot combo. Don't get me wrong I love that combo but I need another rub. Short story long, we have a 94 yr old WW II Veteran neighbor that recently moved to an assisted living facility and says the food at the place is absolutely horrible. Says everything is bland and tasteless. When I mentioned that we should have him over for ribs (his fav) he really brightened up so we're picking him up today for an early dinner feast and ribs are on the menu. At any rate I plan on cooking a rack w/ the sweet / hot along w/ another rack of just a dry rub for him.

Anyone have a nice flavorful rib rub recipe they'd like to share? Thank you in advance.

Looking for a rib rub recipe that isn't the typical sweet / hot combo. Don't get me wrong I love that combo but I need another rub. Short story long, we have a 94 yr old WW II Veteran neighbor that recently moved to an assisted living facility and says the food at the place is absolutely horrible. Says everything is bland and tasteless. When I mentioned that we should have him over for ribs (his fav) he really brightened up so we're picking him up today for an early dinner feast and ribs are on the menu. At any rate I plan on cooking a rack w/ the sweet / hot along w/ another rack of just a dry rub for him.

Anyone have a nice flavorful rib rub recipe they'd like to share? Thank you in advance.

Oh my friend, do I have the recipe for you. I got kind of tired of the same thing and changed my recipe up a while back. I like it waaay more now. I'm happy to share, but just know that I am completely guessing at the quantities. When I first made it I made notes but they were vague. It was literally "some" of this, "less" of that, "more" of that. The idea was just so I would kind of have the proportions close and then nail down an exact measurement...which I never did. That said, I will tell it to you exactly how I use it, then give you what I estimate are the measurements my weird system would add up to.

- Ginger - a little (1 tsp)
- Dry mustard - a little (1 tsp)
- Cayenne - more (1 tbsp)
- Chili powder - extra (2-3 tbsp)
- Garlic powder - extra (2 tbsp)
- Minced onion - some (2 tsp)
- Hickory smoked salt - a little (1 tsp)
- Black pepper - some (2 tsp)
- Garlic salt - a little (1-2 tsp depending on your liking)

I know, I know; that's THE dumbest system in the world for tracking quantities. What can I say? It made sense at the time...

I have found this rub to be bold, savory, and hearty with a kick of spice. I also got tired of the sweetness and wanted something that was closer to Texas style but with a bit more going on than just S&P. This is my take. Call it Iowa style.:wink:

Hard to go wrong with salt and pepper ribs
Or Q-Salt, cooked these with just Q-Salt on the Kettle last Friday, no sweet, no heat, just good seasoning to compliment the meat. :grin:

Cooked at about 310 took 3hrs, did not wrap or spritz.

r4Vupd1.jpg

kWvFtG0.jpg

XcT7CnK.jpg

Last edited:
I second the Q-salt reco...I did a three way shoot out...two typical rib rubs and Q-salt...consensous with the group was Q-salt.

Or Q-Salt, cooked these with just Q-Salt on the Kettle last Friday, no sweet, no heat, just good seasoning to compliment the meat. :grin:

Cook at about 310 took 3hrs, did not wrap or spritz.

That’s how I cook my ribs too, but I try not to make every post about Naturiffic lol

I'll have to use Bigpoppa1's recipe at a later date as I didn't have all the ingredients and just ordered Q-salt. For now I used a sample bag of Oakridge SPOGOS for one of the racks and the standard sweet / hot rub on the other. Went light on the SPOGOS because I've never used it before - nothing like using guests to test stuff on.

Back