Judging Class - Long Island/Metro NY?

BigBarry

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Folks,

At the Sayville event we had a number of new and experienced teams and team friends who expressed a keen interest in taking a local judging class. I spoke with Linda and Jerry and they agreed that it would be a good idea.

How can we get one arranged before the season begins again next spring? Both Mrs. BigBarry and I would take it and we would be glad to assist with the event.

If we are going to do it, we should really get the word out to the BBQers and to the public. Maybe even get some press coverage?

We could possibly spread the word via BBQ joints with a flyer? Maybe get one to sponsor the event?

Here are some things to consider:

Location - VFW, firehouse, BBQ supply place (Jetmore?), community hall, etc.
Food
Sponsorship?
Cooks/cookers - I suggest two different cooks and cookers in case there is a problem!
Equipment - tables, chairs, tents/heaters if not indoors?
Insurance?

OK - let it rip...

Char and I have put one on for the past two years. We will never do it again. But to answer some of your questions and point you in the right direction . . .
Find a space large enough and quite enough for judging. We crammed 60 people into a tight space and while it worked, it was not optimal. Get several BBQ teams to cook the meat, you will need enough to have all participants to get three samples of each category. Pat and I cooked all of the categories this past year and let me tell you it was like doing a 30 team comp by ourselves. The KCBS instructor will get you a list of what is needed, cook more than they request. The first year we followed their instructions and ran out of brisket before all participants had what was required. Well we didn't run out, but they did not get what was requested using the provided list.
We did it as part of the River City Roundup BBQ contest, sponsorship is not needed as the fees for the class cover all aspects of the class. They recommend $75.00 for non KCBS members and something like $35 for KCBS members. These fees cover the KCBS membership for non KCBS members as well as all of the food and garnish needed. As well as travel expenses for the KCBS Instructor. Here is a hint, get as close to to actual costs as you can, because any money left over goes to KCBS and not the organizer or a sponsor. Just another way they guage members, but that is for a different thread.
Tables chairs ect, if you get the right location like a VFW hall should have them, KCBS brings the juding plates and slips. I would suggest doing it indoors vs. outdoors just because it is easier as you need a location to build boxes and a room to hold the class.
Health inspection rules do not apply, but obviously health codes should be followed.
Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

PR is fairly easy, just submit it to all the local papers and radio stations, most of them will pick it up ...and the Bullsheet will get them headed your way as ususal. People are slow to commit, we had 13 two weeks before the class and I had to stop and turn folks away at 60. Enjoy the ride, and feel free to PM either Roo or I if we can help you. Its alot of work but the judges and teams appreciate it....as does KCBS because they are the real winners, new members for at least a year and additional fees on top of that ...nice profit center for them.

Press coverage? Sponsorship? Flyers.? :eek::-?

I am working one, I have 4 potential dates, in the late Feb-April timeframe, a venue, a plan to tie it to a cooking class with a well known cook, Linda and Jerry are aware and Im making sure it does not conflict with any other local event.

Thats is all i will say or commit to. When plans are set, things will be announced.

I will only attend if
somebody promises that a KCBS petition is going to be passed around

Why you want 13th place chicken to be announced right before RGC?

Press coverage? Sponsorship? Flyers.? :eek::-?

I am working one, I have 4 potential dates, in the late Feb-April timeframe, a venue, a plan to tie it to a cooking class with a well known cook, Linda and Jerry are aware and Im making sure it does not conflict with any other local event.

Thats is all i will say or commit to. When plans are set, things will be announced.

Sorry Pooh. Didn't know you were on it. Linda and Jerry didn't mention it.

Good luck and let us know how we can help!

I heard a rumor that Good Morning Japan is going to cover it as well, not that we would see it....

Sled, How did you get my 2009 team picture ? it was top secret,, thats just to farking funny... however i think the class is already listed on the Pigtrip Site .. LOL:-D

I heard a rumor that Good Morning Japan is going to cover it as well, not that we would see it....

I'm interested in both and can bring anything from the comp repertoire that's needed, wsm's, kettles, tables, canopies, etc.

Back