LISTEN UP --WSM's

M

Mike(Mi)

Hello Brothers. I haven't been posting much recently, but I HAD to post this...

I took the day off. :D It is a glorious Friday here in mid-Michigan, sunny, less humid and cooler. I spent the morning at the range shooting a couple of my favorite rifles :twisted: and stopped to shop on the way home.

I just picked up a Weber Smokey Mountain in the box for $90 :shock: ...yes, ninety dollars, at a local True Value Hardware.... I thought it was mislabled or a great deal on a floor model, but they had 3 left. I don't know if this is a local thing, a True Value thing, or a Weber thing. All I know is I was real close to buying one last year for twice the price. If you are near a True Value Hardware store and have been thinking new WSM, check it out (your mileage may vary). I am basking (if not gloating) in my good fortune!

Congrats to the BBQ Bretheren team for Grill King cookoff!

So very cool! :D

I'll be heading over to my local ACE/True Value tomorrow morning!

Nice buy brother! I will check also.

None at all ACE here -- darn! Plenty of kettles, etc. but not even one WSM even at "normal" prices.

But, I did nab 20# bag of Cowboy lump hardwood charcoal, a new 4 slab Weber rib rack (my old one was three and slanted), and a set of Weber charcoal seperators to use in my Coleman firepit/grill.

Well, I'm sorry this didn't apply to a larger area. I do have some more info. My WSM is dated 1999, had a box price of $179, and now that I think about it, the box had, Oh, about 5 years worth of dust on top. :shock:

I guess this is just one of the perks of living in this BBQ wasteland. Most folks here would say .... "I want to smoke a turkey breast or some salmon twice a year, why spend $179 for this when that nice little red Brinkman over there is only $39?" :x The owner was probably trying to clean out his storage barn ...literally, its a small barn... and he found inventory 5 yrs old and said, "What the Fark is this taken up space for?...git rid of it!"

However, I'm happy to report that the unit works just as advertised, I put on a 6# chicken and 2 spares just to have an excuse to test it. I did a Modified Minion burn from the virtual bullet site and the darn thing hummed away, untouched, for 6 hrs at 240-245 at the lid vent and the Q was great!

$90 ........ I am too cool for words!!

(If anyone is from "around here" ....Darrell's Market and True Value, corner of N. Aurelius and Columbia.... :wink: )

However, I'm happy to report that the unit works just as advertised, I put on a 6# chicken and 2 spares just to have an excuse to test it. I did a Modified Minion burn from the virtual bullet site and the darn thing hummed away, untouched, for 6 hrs at 240-245 at the lid vent and the Q was great!

This modified minion thing makes me want to grab my nuts and walk away quickly.

Nice grab on the WSM. I thought I got a great deal on a NB Bandera for $248 until I read that one of the brothers nabbed one for $180!
N. Aurelius, hey Mike, are you in Lansing? Your location just says Michigan/Arkansas.

for 6 hrs at 240-245 at the lid vent and the Q was great!

$90 ........ I am too cool for words!!

I think I hate you! :D Great deal -- down here WSMs are harder to find - lots of kettles and Weber gas. The WSMs are available but you have to order them or ask -- I guess we grill more than smoke. Lots of ECBs on display though -- so yeah I think the $179-199 or so puts people off!

When I teach cooking classes we make WSMs availible for $140 to every student if they wish to have one.
$90 is a steal but at $180 it is still worth the price IMHO.

jminion said:
When I teach cooking classes we make WSMs availible for $140 to every student if they wish to have one.
$90 is a steal but at $180 it is still worth the price IMHO.
$140 is a great deal as well... you going to teach any courses out east anytime soon

YO! Neil. Yes, I'm near Lansing, south of town. Your picture reminds me of one of my favorite Q'ing positions ...usually later in the day. I've got a place on the Arkansas North Coast, just north of Yellville and cheap Ozark Oak lump.

(what is this continuing obsession with cheap? :shock: )

Don't I remember you having some Arkansas connection too?

Arkansas is where my wife bought me the Bandera. Her aunt and uncle have a little 150 acre spread in the foothills of the Ozarks just south of Heber Springs. We head down there every year around Memmorial Day. Beautiful area.

That picture was taken much later in the day after I won the Hell Lake Farms Rib Fest. Started at 3 am with 8lb brisket, 12 lbs spare and tips. The Gentleman Jack finished me off at around 11 pm with a nice summer rain tapping on the camper awning.

We went through that area a few years ago on our way North from Memphis (in May). It is very nice indeed. :D We bought our cabin materials from a company near Greer's Ferry lake. You should go through Yellville on your way back next year. You can get 20 #'s of Ozark Oak for $5.98 at Harps Market. I load up everytime we go down ...can't wait till October!!

Back