MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Colin
Default Venison smoke tomorrow

My neighbor just delivered these to me.
We're going to smoke them on my offset tomorrow. My 1st time for venison hind quarters.
I'll get the silver skin off and may even cut one up into roasts.
It'll be an adventure.

Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new in 1981)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber charcoal Go-Anywhere
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
Melt In The Sun
Knows what a fatty is.

You're gonna need more beer than that.
Melt In The Sun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Those are some really sexy legs you got there!!

Old 11-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
tb80
Take a breath!

Should be interesting. I would think it would be easy to dry them out.
tb80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #5
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Colin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun View Post
Heh... Yeah, alcohol will be involved.

I butchered one (literally) into 3 nice roasts and several smaller ones that will make steaks and or ground meat. One roast is in a brine. I'll inject another and experiment a little.

Removed as much of the silver skin as I could on the whole one. It'll get a different injection and everything in the smoker gets a layer of bacon.

We'll see how it goes. If I remember I'll take pics along the way and post them.
Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new in 1981)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber charcoal Go-Anywhere
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
Cooknhogz
On the road to being a farker

Got some back straps in the fridge now chillin with some Ployboys Bovine Bold on. Will be going in the cast iron later with a good helpin of real butter and garlic. Ohhhh son, thats what I'm talkin bout. Had a brain storm at Gander Mtn the other day picked up some Cajun Injectors French Onion marinade and going to inject into a deer roast, rub with Bovine Bold on the outside, then smoke. Seems like a winning combo. Hope it is.
Cooknhogz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
stglide

Awesome!! My neighbor just delivered a Ham to me also. They want me to smoke it for Thanksgiving. I've looked online with opinions all over the board as how best to do. The method that sounded the best to me was to brine or inject, rub w/ mustard and apply rub, then smoke low at 225 until internal temps around 120-130 degrees. Wrap, like you would a pork butt, and continue to cook till 190-195 internal. According to the reviews, it turned out great, still moist from cooking in the foil, and the meat fell off the bone and made great bbq. Oh! When they wrapped, added a little butter on the ham, little more rub, and apple juice.

Sounded like a good way to do it, and prevent from drying out. With wild game, I believe in getting internal temps to at least 165 to kill anything that may be calling it home! LOL. But...that IMO... and we know about opinions!
Charbroil Quantum 5 burner
Brinkman SKD Offset w/ Mods
[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
stglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #8
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Usually do one every thanksgiving, and it's the first thing that gets gone. A lot of times I'll remove the shank, butterfly it out and remove the bone, saves a couple hours of cooking time. Injection, bacon, butter, apple juice, and foil are the right track. Makes excellent bbq. Whole deer shoulders make good q, too.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #9
stglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaws on Pigs View Post
Usually do one every thanksgiving, and it's the first thing that gets gone. A lot of times I'll remove the shank, butterfly it out and remove the bone, saves a couple hours of cooking time. Injection, bacon, butter, apple juice, and foil are the right track. Makes excellent bbq. Whole deer shoulders make good q, too.
Excellent! Thanks for the reply Gnaws!

Any feedback on how many hours per pound, or anything to help me back into start times? Have you cooked with the bone in? Just curious the difference in time, as well of any additional value from a flavor standpoint.
Charbroil Quantum 5 burner
Brinkman SKD Offset w/ Mods
[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
stglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #10
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

I've cooked bone-in and bone removed. works good both ways, but foiling is a big help with bone-out. Time is about the same as cooking a pork butt or brisket of the same weight. Use your favorite rub and sauce that you would for pulled pork. It's easy to dry out venison, so injecting, basting, foiling, and bacon are more helpful than they are with marbled beef or pork. I'll usually foil at 150-160, and add some butter/apple juice/whatever in there. Cook it til it probes tender and slice it like brisket or pull it like pork.

BTW, if you seperate the ham into muscle groups, the sirloin tip (front part of the leg) makes an excellent pot roast or is really good marinated for awhile, rubbed, and cooked like a tri-tip to medium-rare. The central muscle is great cut into steaks, or makes a good roast. The rest is good stir-fry meat (fix just like beef tips with peppers, onions, and shrooms-delicious,) or you can cut it into thin steaks, cube/hammer it and fry. Good stuff. Or I'll sometimes cut any of the above paper-thin with my meat slicer and make Phillie steak sammiches or gyros. Or marinate, grill, slice, and make steak fajitas. I've been wanting to try curing/smoking a ham and making venison pastrami, might do that with the next one I get this year. Deer meat is really versatile if you experiment with it, my family eats several deer a year and we love it.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

You've seen what I did with great results right? If you want pulled venison?
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #12
posey's_pork_pit
is one Smokin' Farker

Hey Colin ~ we do have some generous neighbors don't we.

My neighbor gave me a hind quarter as well and after boning, I wrapped one roast and the leg muscles in bacon and seasoned one with McCormick Montreal Steak and the other with SM Pecan rub. I then cooked it on Mini Me low and slow to 145°. Sorry that I don't have the after pron ~ it went too fast!

Smokey Joe Silver w/wooden handle a.k.a. Mini Me, Weber Smokey Joe Platinum date code ER

Sipsey: Secret's in the sauce.
posey's_pork_pit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #13
harris92
Full Fledged Farker

Make sure to post Pron during and after the cook.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #14
Brizz
Full Fledged Farker

I did a Philly-cheese-bambi fatty last weekend. Stuffed it with sauteed onions and mushrooms, plus American cheese for a cheese-whiz like substitute. Man was it good. My guests ate more of that than they did my pulled pork!
Brizz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #15
BBQMaverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun View Post

^RACK^ this post.
BBQMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote