MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:54 AM   #1786
Single Fin Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

Farker.......since your now "too busey" to build me another one can you at least email me a shopping list of all the things I need to do it myself?(I found a buddy with a welder).
WSM
Webber Kettle
True stainless kegerator w/cheap 1/2 barrel
10'6 EC single fin
10' Minchington 2-1 set up
Single Fin Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2008, 06:25 AM   #1787
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Single Fin Smoker View Post
Farker.......since your now "too busey" to build me another one can you at least email me a shopping list .
Ok, here is a good start for you....

http://www.amazon.com/Disney-Princes...020475&sr=1-31

It really helped our immigrant housekeeper and since you are in the same line of work......

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2008, 10:59 AM   #1788
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

chasmosis, I got mine at Tel Tru online at
http://www.teltru.com/food_service.asp
the LT225R. I like the 12" stem the goes just about to the middle of the drum just below the lower grate. Here is a pic with it almost pulled out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02935.jpg (25.4 KB, 1794 views)

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2008, 11:24 AM   #1789
Bevo
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmosis View Post
I've been reading thru this thread for the last week, you've hooked me and I decided to build one.

Scored a couple barrels with lids and rings (got an extra just in case) for $10 each. My dad runs a welding shop he knew a guy who is hauling them to the scrapper.

Drums had coconut oil in them, no coating besides a little coconut oil (initially thought it was lard). I'm gonna give them a good wash with hot soapy water and brush out the little bit of rust with some scotch brite. I wasn't planning on burning them out, anyboding think I should?

I've also got a question on where you guys get your thermometers you are installing in your barrels. I'm not talking about the wired probe electronic therms but the dial smoker specific thermometer in the side of your barrels? I've seen a link or 2 to websites selling them. I've looked at local hardware stores but can't seem to find them locally.
Academy sports has them for $19

Old 10-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #1790
STX Cue
Full Fledged Farker

I buy mine at Academy, too. They work fine, and since the purpose is to keep things cheap, I go with them.

Hey Jerry, that is some pretty fancy hardware you have on that can. I like the fittings for the thermometer and the probe lead. Those are a great idea. Time to mod the can....again.
Some thing that says Brinkman on it
STX Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2008, 12:07 PM   #1791
carpetbagger1
Knows what a fatty is.

Does anyone use a drum in cold temp's? I have one in Virginia and use it all the time here, but am thinking about building one for my brother who lives in central Wisconsin. Just wondering if the drum will be as effective in winter months up there, without any insulation?
carpetbagger1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2008, 01:52 PM   #1792
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetbagger1 View Post
Does anyone use a drum in cold temp's? I have one in Virginia and use it all the time here, but am thinking about building one for my brother who lives in central Wisconsin. Just wondering if the drum will be as effective in winter months up there, without any insulation?
I believe you will find they work just about as good in cold weather as they do in warm weather. Strong cold wind or rain may effect it more than anything but still will cook ok if you stoke it up a little.
Dave

Old 10-28-2008, 02:19 PM   #1793
ipls3355
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
I believe you will find they work just about as good in cold weather as they do in warm weather. Strong cold wind or rain may effect it more than anything but still will cook ok if you stoke it up a little.
Dave
Wind doesn't bother them. Cold has little effect on them. Rain can be a problem depending on the lid and/or shelter around the cooker.

Crankin out Q on my ECB since 2005
UDS born September, 2007
22" Weber Kettle
18" Weber Kettle
ipls3355 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2008, 03:00 PM   #1794
sfbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Default She's up and running

Wind, rain, cold snow...how about fog!
Finally got the UDS done and up and cooking soon.
Thanks to all on this thread for help. Turned out pretty good for someone with as much LOFT as I have. Used spring loaded vents along with one ball valve. I'll let you know how she performs. Pizza pan for ash catcher on no-weld basket.
Still have to mount Smokedaddy for cold smoking cheese and things but can do that this weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Drum 1.jpg (46.6 KB, 1741 views)
File Type: jpg Drum 2.jpg (61.8 KB, 1737 views)
File Type: jpg Drum 3.jpg (59.1 KB, 1746 views)
File Type: jpg Drum 4.jpg (40.3 KB, 1735 views)
'08 Weber Genesis Gasser
SJG Tamale Pot Mini Smoker (SJG was a rescue)
and a Pyro FIL
sfbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2008, 06:48 PM   #1795
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipls3355 View Post
Wind doesn't bother them. Cold has little effect on them. Rain can be a problem depending on the lid and/or shelter around the cooker.

They even cook in sleet , wind and sideways rain just change the exhaust.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2008, 12:41 AM   #1796
raiderx
On the road to being a farker

Default Getting excited!

I stumbled on this thread when I found a UDS video that Bigmista posted a while back. I'm inspired! I looked at a couple of food grade drums today, but they were closed top and and I'd rather go the easy way if I can. Still, looking at sfbbqguy's finished product is making me think I should just grab the first drum I see. I'm sure I'll run into some snags along the way, but looks like every question is answered in this thread. I'll post back when I get myself painted into a corner.
raiderx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2008, 09:02 AM   #1797
sfbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderx View Post
I stumbled on this thread when I found a UDS video that Bigmista posted a while back. I'm inspired! I looked at a couple of food grade drums today, but they were closed top and and I'd rather go the easy way if I can. Still, looking at sfbbqguy's finished product is making me think I should just grab the first drum I see. I'm sure I'll run into some snags along the way, but looks like every question is answered in this thread. I'll post back when I get myself painted into a corner.

Check Craigslist for drums. Depending on what you're willing to pay they're easy to find. I got mine from some guy over your way for $20. It was a closed top and originally had honey in it. Open top might be a bit easier to work with but just depends on what you want to do.
Stick to the Brethren! They'll help you out.
'08 Weber Genesis Gasser
SJG Tamale Pot Mini Smoker (SJG was a rescue)
and a Pyro FIL
sfbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2008, 09:42 AM   #1798
topjimmy
Found some matches.

I got my barrels for free. They contained mineral oil, a lot of machine shops use it. I called my local recycling center and they pointed me in the right direction. I burned it last weekend, and plan on smoking something this Sat.

A Fatty maybe, I've never done one of those.

Later
JimC
topjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2008, 10:25 AM   #1799
raiderx
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbbqguy View Post
Check Craigslist for drums. Depending on what you're willing to pay they're easy to find. I got mine from some guy over your way for $20. It was a closed top and originally had honey in it. Open top might be a bit easier to work with but just depends on what you want to do.
Stick to the Brethren! They'll help you out.
I went to Urban Ore in Berkeley yesterday and they had some closed top honey drums for 15 bucks, I think. They said they have a regular supplier and sometimes they get open top drums. I work near there, so I'm just going to keep looking every few days at lunchtime. I noticed they had a few busted up Webers so I'm hoping to stumble onto some parts I can use. Good place.
raiderx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2008, 10:29 AM   #1800
topjimmy
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post

They even cook in sleet , wind and sideways rain just change the exhaust.
Ahhh Summer in the British Isles.....

Later
JimC
topjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker