BBQ-Guru on an offset firebox smoker ? / Guru questions

Don Marco

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Howdy folks...

Im thinking about adding a BBQ-Guru to my WIP Pit.

57_P1030378_Medium_1.jpg

The Pit dimensions are :

20" x 48 " Main chamber
20" x 20" x 40 high vertical smoker
20" x 20" x 20" square firebox with grill on top

Does anyone have experience with a guru on a Smoker of this size ?

I guess it would make overnighter a whole lot easyer, but im afraid to schoke the fire down too much and get bad smoke and creosote, or blow the ashes inside the cooking chamber.

Afaik, the guru adaptor should be mounted underneath the firegrate, right ?
Would a the cubicfoot/min blower be the right size ?

Thanks

DM

get the big fan 25

i have an big pit and it workes great love the sleep i get

go for it

I think for the best possible outcome give the folks at Guru or Stoker a call and get their experienced answer. I am sure they have had similar questions asked before.

From the looks, i´d rather get the stoker cause i like the network features.

Afaik, the stoker only has 4 or 5 CFM fans,wich may be a little too small.

I´m getting a used bbq-guru from a buddy in a couple of days to use on my WSM, and all i would need for the offset would be the 25 CFM fan and an adapter. So, that makes more sense than buing a stoker and adapting a bigger fan to it.

Maybe ill upgrade to a stoker if im pleased with automatic temperatur control.

DM

From the looks, i´d rather get the stoker cause i like the network features.

Afaik, the stoker only has 4 or 5 CFM fans,wich may be a little too small.

I´m getting a used bbq-guru from a buddy in a couple of days to use on my WSM, and all i would need for the offset would be the 25 CFM fan and an adapter. So, that makes more sense than buing a stoker and adapting a bigger fan to it.

Maybe ill upgrade to a stoker if im pleased with automatic temperatur control.

DM
you might be able to get a bigger fan for the stoker,

you might be able to get a bigger fan for the stoker,

I asked the guys at rocksbarbecue a couple of weeks ago.
They said there is no bigger fan and currently they
cant ship over the pond.

DM

Don,

Make sure your cooker is as airtight as you can make it. Both devices have a difficult time controlling the fire if there is a draft coming from somewhere.

Im planning to seal all the doors with high temperature gasket.

DM

By the looks of your pit I would suggest one 25 CFM fan. My cooking chamber is 36"X 96" and I use two 25 CFM fans. You may want to give BBQ Bob at GURU a call and have him explain the manifold you need to build for maximum efficiency. You will want to make sure the pit is as air tight as possible too. They helped me a bunch when I was in the market for a draft induction system.
As far as the Stoker? If you want to play with a computer with a GUI interface then that's the way to go, but you can't eat a GUI interface. Keep in mind the Stoker people do not offer a 25 CFM fan. When I was looking at the systems the folks at the Stoker company told me that if I bought the fans from GURU then they could wire them to work with the Stoker. Hmmmm...why?
BBQ Guru sold me and I have been pleased, even service after the sale.

Interesting... the must have discontinued the 25cfm

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 311
you might need twin 25cfm fans from guru. works on the old lang.

You will want to build a charcoal basket similar to the Klose design to maximize the effectiveness of your Guru...

Im planning to seal all the doors with high temperature gasket.

DM

How are you going to seal the top edge of your main oven door (where it's hinged)? I sealed all the rest of mine with Hi temp silicone by squirting it on thick and brushing a little oil onto the opposite surface, but I can't figure out how to seal the top edge.

Also, with a pit that size, aren't you going to have to add a log or two every hour or so even if it's totally air tight?

I plan to seal the doors with flat gasket

gb-hakamid.gif

ans use a charcoal basket for longer burns.

DM

Looking @ the design of the door of the horizontal oven, I can see where you'll probably run into problems sealing tightly w/ that type of gasket, but what I'm really curious is the top edge. It appears as though yours is similar to mine in thatthere's no way to put any type of flap on the hinged edge. It would prevent the lid from opening. Maybe your hinge system is different. Do you have a pic that shows the hinge system well?

Back