New Side Dish

Arlin_MacRae

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Something my buddy cooked for my wife and me last night is worth throwing out here for duplication 'cause it was so simple and so good.

Coupla pounds of fresh green beans, cut or snapped into thirds
One pound of thick-cut bacon, chunked
Half of a large onion, diced (we had sweet onion last night)
Pepper to taste

Cook the bacon chunks in a cast iron skillet/wok over coals or a wood fire until crispy. Add the onions and continue cooking until translucent, then add the green beans and cook them until they're still a bit crunchy. Add pepper (or whatever!) to taste.

Serve.

Simple, but oh so good.

Arlin_MacRae said:
Something my buddy cooked for my wife and me last night is worth throwing out here for duplication 'cause it was so simple and so good.

Coupla pounds of fresh green beans, cut or snapped into thirds
One pound of thick-cut bacon, chunked
Half of a large onion, diced (we had sweet onion last night)
Pepper to taste

Cook the bacon chunks in a cast iron skillet/wok over coals or a wood fire until crispy. Add the onions and continue cooking until translucent, then add the green beans and cook them until they're still a bit crunchy. Add pepper (or whatever!) to taste.

Serve.

Simple, but oh so good.

I do one just like this .... only difference is I add lots of fresh garlic, and a spoon or two of COARSE stone ground mustard.

RE: Re: New Side Dish

Yeah, he told me that slivered garlic is a good addition, but mustard?
Sounds GOOD!

Aeynghus made me some Guinness mustard that freakin' ROCKS. I'll be trying that.

Good recipe bro, and Adkins friendly to boot. Thanks.

I would cook the onion with the bacon 'cause I love carmelized onion.

Add some cut up 'shrooms and you got a great recipe.

Wayne

A dash of worsey or some of the au jus that comes outta the foil of a porkloin or butt or brisket never hurt a green bean either.

The 'shroom mod sounds awesome!!

Next time I make green beans, I'm going to combine all the ideas here into one super bean dish: Brethren Green Beans. :D

I did this with my buckboard bacon last week, mmmmmmmmm, buckboard bacon. Got 14lbs in the smoker right now.

Back