• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Home cured ham for Easter Final PrOn Experience Counts...I have none

CharredApron

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
There is nothing like experience. Nothing! I have none when it comes to curing meats. I followed a recipe from one of foremost authors on Charcuterie, and from reading numerous post from the Brethren collectively. I did the wet brine method, removed it from the brine and let it dry overnight in the fridge. Smoked it low and slow for almost 8 hours. Freaked out that I left and returned to find the IT at 170*F. Wrapped it and stuck it in a cooler. Then added my glaze to the foiled ham and tucked it into the fridge for the night. All the while throughout every step I second guessed myself " What if....., Maybe I should.....,Oh God it's burnt..........., Re-heat and dry it out even more........, Maybe my guests actually like ham jerky?..........

If I were experienced at this, I could have skipped all this mental anguish. Now that I have one under my belt, I have a little more knowledge and a whole lot more to learn. Thanks to you guys, I am self medicating now and finished the most wonderful meal of my smokin life! Friends and Family loved it to!

Easter Menu
Smoked Ham with Jezebell Sauce Glaze

cookedham004_zps57c6665e.jpg

Boned the ham and sliced in fear! Nice and Moist to my surprise

finaleaster002_zps6eaad6e1.jpg

Wampus's Peach Bourbon Beans

beans006_zps283e5e58.jpg

Cat Head Biscuits with Red Eye Gravy

finaleaster001_zpsbfff7521.jpg

The buffet

finaleaster003_zps269e2448.jpg

My Plate, mac-n cheese, collards with smoked pork belly from last week, Wampus's beans, Jezebell sauce and red eye gravy on the ham.

finaleaster004_zps355152c1.jpg

Thanks to you all! Happy Easter,
Jed

looks spectacular!

i always second guess myself too with the home curing...did i mix the brine right, temp in fridge right, time in brine right, soak-no soak, air dry enough, how to finish, yada, yada.

but after all that we get a great looking meal like yours!

well done!

looks spectacular!

i always second guess myself too with the home curing...did i mix the brine right, temp in fridge right, time in brine right, soak-no soak, air dry enough, how to finish, yada, yada.

but after all that we get a great looking meal like yours!

well done!
You were a BIG help! Next time I am in Fairfield I'll look you up. Ct that is

You were a BIG help! Next time I am in Fairfield I'll look you up. Ct that is

you're wecolme. it was fun cooking in tandem.

btw, how exactly did you know i'm in fairfield county? just give me two hours notice and i'll have something hot and nice cold ready to go. :becky:

You made biscuits out of cat's heads and gravy out of eyes? :shock:

:becky:

Nice job! I'm glad that it came out well!

Back