Pepper and Brown Sugar BuckBoard Bacon

Mad Max

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Finally, got around to making some BuckBoard, this weekend. Actually, the process started about 12 days ago, with a de-boned 8# butt.
bbbacon1.jpg

The cure:
bbbacon2.jpg

Followed the recommended manufacturer's instructions. Read Thirdeye's web site on BuckBoard (thanks Thirdeye). Once the cure was rubbed on:
bbbacon3.jpg

This when I realized that I was out of foodsavers bags and it was 1:00am, so zip-lock bags will do the trick.
bbbacon4.jpg

After 12 days of sitting in the refrigerator and the cure ,turning the bags everyday, finally got a good weather thumbs up. About 8 hours, prior to the start of smoking the bacon, I soaked and changed the water, several times, to remove the salt, especially, since I went over the 10 day recommendation.
bbbacon6.jpg

Then I made a rub of black pepper, brown sugar and a little kosher salt. I started the kettle with about six briquettes and had some hickory chunks soaking in water, for about two hours. No flames, only wanted smoke. Set the bacon on indirect heat and closed the bottom vents and partially open on the top.
bbbacon5.jpg

It smoked for about 4.5 hours and finally reached an internal temp. of 130 degrees.
bbbacon9.jpg

Sliced it up really thin, with the slicing knife, used wax paper to keep it separated and the used the food saver, to vacuum sealed, the portions to save. Sorry, for the cell phone quality, but need batteries for digital cam.
bbbacon8.jpg

And finally, the finished product! In a non stick pan, let it get crispy and crunchy. Almost lost my hands, putting this on the table. Nothing beats the smell of bacon, anytime. :lol: I think a bacon and egg sammy is in the near future.
bbbacon7.jpg

Mmm, bacon and egg sanwhiches are aways great breakfast! Add a tomato and call it lunch and dinner! :-D

lately I have been feeling like the cartoon dog in the commercials for Beggin Strips.
BAHCOHN!
Boy that looks great!

Back