Holding meat in a cooler

M

Mike - CSBBBQ

Need some advice... Leaving way early for a contest for the first time. Depart for Lakeland the Saturday before the contest. Meat will be in coolers until the contest. Would it be better to freeze the briskets before leaving or just take from the fridge and keep on ice? What about the butts and ribs. May try and buy the ribs and butts in Florida but like what we have been getting local. Taking the motorhome but will be in a hotel Monday-Wednesday and not hooked to electricity. Head to Lakeland Thursday after work.

Does anyone have a good meat source in Leesburg?Thanks

Need some advice... Leaving way early for a contest for the first time. Depart for Lakeland the Saturday before the contest. Meat will be in coolers until the contest. Would it be better to freeze the briskets before leaving or just take from the fridge and keep on ice? What about the butts and ribs. May try and buy the ribs and butts in Florida but like what we have been getting local. Taking the motorhome but will be in a hotel Monday-Wednesday and not hooked to electricity. Head to Lakeland Thursday after work.

Does anyone have a good meat source in Leesburg?Thanks

I would think that if you keep them on ice, they would be fine. That would be colder than a fridge, and as long as the plastic isn't broken, and let the water leak in, you are ok..... I would do it in a heart beat....

It has been a long time, 20 yrs, since I lived down there. I can send an email to my brother, he works in Leesburg, and see if he knows of any.

In Lakeland, there was a real good meat market called Deloach's.... I don't know if they are still in business or not. I suppose you could do a phone search for Lakeland and see if you can find it.

Bill

I would think that if you keep them on ice you will be fine. I would buy my meat there though.

If you like and trust the quality of the meat you get at home, buy right before you leave. Ice down and keep iced. There should be no degradation over a few days on ice.

Good luck in the contest!

Brisket is fine unless you've aged it a lot but then you wouldn't need to ask so Brisket is good. I've held in extremes for a week with 1 change of ice.

Butts and ribs should be OK so ling as the date on them is less than Saturday of contest. Otherwise get them there.

Mike, my butcher is about 30 minutes away from the contest.
LMK if you want help with it. I'll be cooking there too.

Probably goes without the need to be said, but the packaging of each the meats should be taken into consideration. I don't think anyone wants chicken juice floating throughout other cuts.

If you like and trust the quality of the meat you get at home, buy right before you leave. Ice down and keep iced. There should be no degradation over a few days on ice.

Good luck in the contest!

trust your gut if you like your meat supplyer here in your home town keep it and ice it down and check it on the way down ice is creap :icon_shy:-D

york

You will have no problem finding quality chicken and butts in the Lakeland area. Or almost anywhere in FL.

Brent and I are real picky about brisket and ribs.
If you are as demanding, ya might want to bring them along with you.

Lakeland is fun--good event.

TIM

Back