Cooking & crisping Turkey legs

thillin

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
What's the best way to cook & crisp turkey legs. I searched and came back with a 3-2-1. What temp internally? Wouldn't I still need to crisp the skin? I usually fry, but wanted that state fair taste.
Thanks
Ty

thillin, I don't care for the drummies myself but if you do 3-2-1, that last hour back on the grates will help with the skin. On a 'dera you could move them to the grilling grate for just a bit before calling them done. As far as internal temp I think you'd be totally safe after the 2 hours in the foil but if you want to check for the Govt recommended 180 just to be safe, that probabaly wouldn't be a bad idea.

180 internal to be safe.

3-2-1 is a guideline - check the temp after 3 hours and let that be your guide. A lot depends on the size of the legs, too.

1-1.25# legs will cook up quicker than the 2# raptor legs we have for vending! :D

Don't ask Tommy Kendall. I would only eat 20 lb. or so of his Turkey legs. They're terrible.

I wouldn't eat them either. I just brined mine, cooked to about 180 with a bit a spraying while in the chamber, then tossed over hot coals to crisp the skin, slathered in sauce, wrapped the bottom of leg in foil, and served with a cold beer to friends. Simple.

Back