Cooking Class 4 Legs Up Cooking Class

watertowerbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Anyone take the 4 Legs Up class that is just a one day class? Any comments would be appreciated.

May be one day but it says its 14 hours, 7am to 9pm.
We're signed up for the 6th.

Matt, I have taken a couple different classes and it is interesting to see how different people cook and what they use. I had some products used in the past that I can't find anymore so on that note, it is nice to know what I can sub, etc.

I think if you have an opportunity to get some hands on with someone like Kelly, Rod, Scottie, Myron, Todd/David, etc it is worth it just from a general knowledge point of view. The price is pretty good here too. I have signed up to be a judge at days end.

Kind of curious on this also, I signed up kind of blind, I agree one day, but one looonnggg day!!! Why wouldn't I, it is only about 20 miles away :p

The wife and I are looking forward to it!!!

I took the class a couple of years ago here in Great Bend. I don't compete so I couldn't tell you it helped me there but there was a lot of information provided that helped me cook better at home. I think you will enjoy it, Kelly is a great guy with a dry sense of humor. Just have fun!

I have not taken the class, but I've sampled some of his stuff and dined in his restaurant. I suspect you'd take something away that would be valuable.

Matt, I have taken a couple different classes and it is interesting to see how different people cook and what they use. I had some products used in the past that I can't find anymore so on that note, it is nice to know what I can sub, etc.

I think if you have an opportunity to get some hands on with someone like Kelly, Rod, Scottie, Myron, Todd/David, etc it is worth it just from a general knowledge point of view. The price is pretty good here too. I have signed up to be a judge at days end.

How do you get into judge? I may be interested in that.

Kelly's class is on my list - especially since we use the same model of smoker for chicken. I can't make the one in Jesup this weekend, but I'm hoping for a winter/spring date in or near KC.

We do a one day class where we supply the brisket, butt, ribs, and chicken for you to cook on your cooker that you bring (if you have one). We start at 7 am by showing you how we prep briskets and hope for you to have them on by 8:00 am, then butts etc...

We talk about and work on competition bbq throughout the day and provide boxes and greens for you to do boxes at the end of the day. Then you get to present your meat offerings to judges and watch them judge, listen to their comments, and ask them questions. Judging should be over by 8 or 9 pm.

Yup its a long day, but we cover it all, and you will have lots of good cooks in the class to learn from as well

You can go to www.4legsupbbq.com and click on the BBQ Classes link on the chalkboard on the home page for more information.

Kelly

took the class and enjoyed it very much. Lots of good learning. It is a long day however. our class went from about 7:00 AM until almost 10:00 PM that night.

I'll be on hand to help judge. Looking forward to the interaction with the cooks. Should be very interesting.
See ya there.
Ed

Well I'm in. See ya on Saturday.

I would be there also. but I picked up a sweet catering job for the ISU/Neb game the same day. Maybe in the spring it will work out.

I would be there also. but I picked up a sweet catering job for the ISU/Neb game the same day. Maybe in the spring it will work out.

Cant the five people going to the game get a hot dog?

If anyone is interested in Judging please contact Kelly.

I'm in for judging :thumb:, see ya Saturday!

Anyone else from the DSM area going to judge? Carpool?

Last edited:
Back