MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
BobF
Take a breath!

Default Stick burner Qs?

I have been reading leanza's thread "Stick Burner A$$ whooping" and it brought up a Question. What is a stick burner?
The pics I see look mostly like what I would call an offset. Is this correct?
The reason I ask. My brother in Texas has several cookers and calls one a stick burner. Its a longish covered cooker made from welded steel. He uses sticks - small pecan limbs that all the pecan trees on his place shed all year long. Most are 1/2" to 1" diameter and by the time the tree sheds them they are nearly dry enough to burn. They light easily and don't take long to make coals. He uses this more as a grill. He also has an offset that he smokes on most of the time.
I am still relatively new to this and pardon my ignorance.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
I have been reading leanza's thread "Stick Burner A$$ whooping" and it brought up a Question. What is a stick burner?
The pics I see look mostly like what I would call an offset. Is this correct?
:
Yes,
"Stick burner" is a euphemism for a wood burning pit. You don't have to use sticks. Chunks, splits, or even logs can be used depending on the size of the fire box.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:43 PM   #3
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Yep, I agree with what Kevin said.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
thepoolguy
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

This is a stick burner, I use twiggs Chips, logs........

thepoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Stick Burners...

NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2009, 07:14 PM   #6
BobF
Take a breath!

Thanks everyone.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:50 PM   #7
Kevin

Those pics were of some very nice (and expensive) stick burners. I would love to have any of them but, you can burn sticks in a less expensive rig too. I have to admit my prejudice here, I have an ugly drum, a weber kettle, a gasser, more than a few electric gizmos, they all have their place. They can all produce a great product, but to me cooking with well dried oak wood and nothing else for fuel is my favorite.

This is a Brinkmann Smoke King Deluxe, or commonly referred to as a BSKD AKA left handed Bandera. Paid less than a couple hundred for it new several years ago and it's still going strong. BTW, googling Bandera is how I found this forum.

When it get's a little chilly out in the winter I bring him up to the back porch and monitor temps from the kitchen window.

This is a Chargriller, about the same price new, he can burn wood too but not my favorite. Sure does make a big grill though.

He can cook in the cold too with a little help. He is up for adoption.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would point out that even though most folks use offsets, a stick burner can also be direct fired, there are some pits that use a direct fire to cook low and slow. I think it is often a misunderstanding that low and slow has to be offset. I have done all wood cooks in a kettle for salmon and ribs, no lump or briquets, just splits of alder and oak. Works fine.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2009, 08:24 PM   #9
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Stickburner. (see signature)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #10
Papa Payne
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoolguy View Post
This is a stick burner, I use twiggs Chips, logs........

Wow, nice look'n setup you got there. Got any more pictures/details?

Thanks,

Papa

Old 11-11-2009, 09:09 PM   #11
bocephus
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
Stickburner. (see signature)

Im more wondering about this... do you have some pics, so I can see how you burn sticks in a spicewine?

Old 11-11-2009, 09:10 PM   #12
BobF
Take a breath!

Looks like I really need to expand my definition of a "stick burner".

Some fine looking hardware.

Thanks again everyone.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:20 PM   #13
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocephus View Post
Im more wondering about this... do you have some pics, so I can see how you burn sticks in a spicewine?
i didnt mean to hijack.. the traditional stickburners are all the pits shown above my spicewine. Spicewines are designed to burn briquettes or lump... I However, do burn logs in mine with lump. Then it takes tending just like a stickburner. If I want a 14 hour burn, i load the thing up with kingsford and some chunks and I use it the way spicewine designed it. But for a regular cook(to me), i like using logs in place of lump or K. I treat it the same as my Klose.

No pics, but all u would see is a log on top of a coal bed.

We start with a chimney of lump and get the pit hot. Once theres a nice coal bed, we add a split log. Treat it just like a stickburner.

Instead of adding chimneys of Kingsford and closing donw the vents, just add a log and leave the vents open.

Keep adding a log ever hour or so. If coalbed disssappears or temps drop, add half a chimney of lump and go back to adding a log every hour or so.

keep vents full open, as much as u can. I keep a split in the front of the firebox to preheat the wood throughout the cook. , so when i need to add one, i take the hot one, add it to the fire, and put another one in the front of the box.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2009, 09:29 PM   #14
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post

We start with a chimney of lump and get the pit hot. Once theres a nice coal bed, we add a split log. Treat it just like a stickburner.

Instead of adding chimneys of Kingsford and closing donw the vents, just add a log and leave the vents open.

Keep adding a log ever hour or so. If coalbed disssappears or temps drop, add half a chimney of lump and go back to adding a log every hour or so.

keep vents full open, as much as u can. I keep a split in the front of the firebox to preheat the wood throughout the cook. , so when i need to add one, i take the hot one, add it to the fire, and put another one in the front of the box.
Wow, that's just how I do it in my stick burner. Wonder where I learned that technique?

Old 11-12-2009, 07:16 AM   #15
kickassbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Definately NOT a Stick Burner!!!!!!!