Weber Kettle Mod - sealing

BluesDaddy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Regarding the problem of air leakage when using a Weber kettle for low and slow, has anyone tried using something like this product to create a more air tight seal? It seems like it would be a cheap way to get a better seal and this particular item says it can handle up to 2000 degrees F.

The rope is 1/2" dia. That may be a bit much to fill gaps on a Weber.

Seal what gap? I've done ribs and brisket on a 22.5" Weber OTG kettle low and slow and have never had a problem keeping 225 to 250 temp except for babysitting it. You have to understand that it is not a smoker it's a grill if that's what your looking to do with it but it can be done.

I've read that about 1 in 10 kettles new will not seal completely and older (warped) ones can be in bad shape from temperature fluxes.

That product looks like it would probably work assuming it will stay soft and form well with repeated use

I've done ribs, butts, fatties, MOINKS and ABTs on my Performer with very little issue. You do have to babysit it as far as recharging the fuel. Other than that works great. Remeber you are putting in a small amount of coals when compared to a WSM or an UDS. I don't think you will gain much by trying to seal it. The inefficiencies are linked to the small fuel capacity. Let us know what you come up with. Experimentation is part of the fun.

Try getting a tube of 100% silacone. Clean the lid really well and put a generous bead all the way around. Then rub patrolium jelly all over the kettle where the lid will make contact.(The silacone will not stick to the jelly) Put the lid on and let it set overnight. Remove in the morning and clean off the jelly and you are ready to go. Its good for at least 500 degrees, if you are going low and slow you will be nowhere that hot. If you do go with the rope gasket glue it in with high heat copper header gasket rtv. It last a long time and won't get hard like the junk that comes in the package. I know this from failed experiences!

I've done ribs, butts, fatties, MOINKS and ABTs on my Performer with very little issue. You do have to babysit it as far as recharging the fuel. Other than that works great. Remeber you are putting in a small amount of coals when compared to a WSM or an UDS. I don't think you will gain much by trying to seal it. The inefficiencies are linked to the small fuel capacity. Let us know what you come up with. Experimentation is part of the fun.

What I was thinking. For very little outlay, it might prove to promote a more stable temp with less "babysitting".

Why not go to Ebay.com and type in Big Green Egg, or Big Green Egg Felt Gaskets..:clap2:You will be surprised at how low the prices are..I'm getting me some soon to seal my Webber Lid that I use on my USD!!

Rutland makes a flat gasket for wood stove windows ((Rutland Products Stove Window Gasket (93)). It might work better than the fiberglass rope.

Rutland makes a flat gasket for wood stove windows ((Rutland Products Stove Window Gasket (93)). It might work better than the fiberglass rope.

Thanks. This was just the first one I saw on the Ace page. Peppa, it was actually reading through the description of the current BGE that got me thinking about it. I did an initial search on Ebay and saw prices in the $12 to $20 range. The Rutland product is cheaper and available at my local Ace Hardware so I would save on shipping. The BGE felt was the first thing I thought of, though.

No problem BluesDaddy....My 1st thought was to go with Rutland Stove Gasket, but I am worried about Fiberglass Particles falling in the Food, so I am opting to go with the slightly higher Felt BGE Gasket material

I never said that the Rutland gasket would'nt hold up, I am concerned about the loose Glass Fibers floating around and them winding up on my High Price Cuts Of Meat....I tried using some Rutland Gasket for my USM and later I had to remove it, because I saw fibers floating around....Peppa

KETTLE.JPG

4 clips from Staples work great.

I never said that the Rutland gasket would'nt hold up, I am concerned about the loose Glass Fibers floating around and them winding up on my High Price Cuts Of Meat....I tried using some Rutland Gasket for my USM and later I had to remove it, because I saw fibers floating around....Peppa

Everybody has to worry about something

Regarding the problem of air leakage when using a Weber kettle for low and slow, has anyone tried using something like this product to create a more air tight seal? It seems like it would be a cheap way to get a better seal and this particular item says it can handle up to 2000 degrees F.
Check the grill and lid to see if either is out-of-round. I've never had a kettle that didn't seal well enough unless it was bent. There will be smoke coming out from under the lid, but if it will kill a fire with all vents closed, it's tight enough for low & slow.

Go for the binder clips! They made controlling temps so much easier. They're cheap. Just put them where you see smoke leaking out the seam.

Back