Is this what I have to look forward to?

Drh7003

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So...Sunday a close friend asked me to cook for his Martial Arts Dojo picnic. He cooks and does a decent job, he likes my pork more and he wants to relax for a change. He asked me to do BBQ pork and a side of my baked beans. He arranged the cook out, but there is a demo and an awards ceremony that he is involved with, so he put me in touch with another guy who was supposed to get me a head count and exactly what they wanted for food about a month ago.
On Thursday, the location changed, still no head count. On Friday, I was advised that two people are " sensitive" to garlic salt/powder and some other things and asked if I could not rub the pork. So, I called my friend, because I know that doing pork that way isn't what I want to do. So he calls the other guy and talks with the other two people who are sensitive. It also turns out that two "sensitive" ones also don't eat pork.
He calls me back and asks if I can add 10# of chicken halves to the meal just for them and some extra just in case. This was Friday at 4pm.
The food broker I deal with with the fire company is closed, and the local grocery stores don't sell halves, so I end up buying fryers and splitting them- a whole two of them.
My buddy was very apologetic and said this is what he deals with all the time with this group. Top all this off that it is a two hour drive for me...

The plan is to smoke the pork up until I have to leave for the cook out and put it in my Cambro for the trip. It should be done when it hits the Cambro and I plan on keeping it hot on the trip, pulling it when I arrive. The chicken I will do on site in my small smoker. The beans will be in a crock pot so all I need to do is plug them in.

I am close to retirement at work and my plan was to get my catering license and do this for some extra cash, not just for friends. I wonder if others who are in the trade get this kind of thing...?

I'll be honest, this doesn't sound at all bad to me. No issues at all, especially that a good agreement and lots of up front communication would not address. Yes, the venue change is annoying and two people who don't eat pork as annoyances, but, really, this is not at all bad.

My recommendation is to really consider if you have it in you to cater, the core of the business is in the name, you are catering to peoples needs. A good, and detailed, agreement, deadlines for both parties, and early menu agreement go a long ways to alleviating these kinds of issues.

The greatest talent of any caterer: being able to see problems before they become problems
The problem with that talent: Folks call you a pessimist
How to fix that problem: communication skills
How to learn about these problems: be a caterer, or best yet find an old caterer
Root of the problem: you are not a pitmaster any more you are a business man

Back