BGE pizza - first for me

Pyle's BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I finally did a pizza on my small BGE. I used the dough mix from the store. The one you just add water to make. I topped it with sauce, pepperoni, black olives andf fresh mushrooms. I did have the Egg up to 500*, then put the pizza on. I could not get the Egg back up to 500* and I don't know why. Maybe someone can help there. It took about 15 minutes to get it done. I did like it. I made it with a very thin crust. I am going to keep working on this.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313098321.953185.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313098321.953185.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 224
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313098349.778025.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313098349.778025.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 222
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313098376.628086.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313098376.628086.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 223
First, that pie looks dang good.

You need to get the temp of the ceramic top very hot, not just the temp of the air inside. If not, when you open the lid, the hot air escapes and temps don't recover quickly. You want radiant heat working for you.

I think it takes about an hour at temp to be really ready.

I see I guess that I was a little impatient and wanted to get cooking. Next time I will wait.

We need to know more about your setup. Platesetter? What size is the pizza stone? The 12" stone creates airflow restrictions in my small. I cut my own stone with a tile saw, it is 10.5" in diameter. I have a raised grid setup that creates an air gap between my small platesetter and the custom stone.

IMG_1071.jpg

Also, like someone said, you want the egg hot, not only the air in the egg. I bought an IR thermometer so I can point a laser down the chimney to see if my stone is around the 500 or so degree mark before putting the pie on.

In my Egg I put the plate setter legs up, I do not have a pizza stone. I used the grate on the legs of the plate setter and then set my pizza pan on the grate. I think I did not let the Egg get up to temp. I have not found a pizza stone that is small enough to fit in the Egg, but I am looking.

Good looking Pizza. Your Pan looks like it might be blocking air flow also.

Like others have said Preheat then Preheat a little more then have a drink and Preheat just a bit more don't rush it.

That pizza looks darn good to me. If that was your first, you know they will be getting better in the future.

Did it taste good? If so, you did a great job. :)

I'm more and more partial to high heat pizzas on the bge, like 750F, 2 minute pies.

Curious if your pan is non-stick. If it is the coating will start to come off and stick to the pie once you hit those high temps.

The pan is a 12" perforated pan. It may be a bit large, but I will see what I can do about that. I will let the Egg get hotter. I have to confess. I worked in pizza places while I was going to college, so I do have some experience making pizza.

The pan is a 12" perforated pan. It may be a bit large, but I will see what I can do about that. I will let the Egg get hotter. I have to confess. I worked in pizza places while I was going to college, so I do have some experience making pizza.

That would explain why your first pie looked so good. Not sure how you feel about pizza screens, but maybe these 10 inters might help:

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/index.cfm/S/307/N/2755/Beaded-Trim-Aluminum-Pizza-Screens.htm

I was thinking of that. I will check the restaurant supply store here in town and see what size they have.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back