MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:04 AM   #1
va_connoisseur
Full Fledged Farker

Default Calculating the cost for YOUR BBQ sauce

Hi All,

Is there a formula for determing an appropriate cost of homemade sauces? I am putting together a cost sheet to provide to a local small business and I have a good estimator for meats and sides but not sauces. Thx
[LIST][*]250 gallon, custom reverse flow smoker with warming cabinet aka Hawg Coffin[*]120 gallon reverse flow aka Hog Coffin (retired)[*] 22 and 18.5 WSM[*]Known as Spatulaman[*]Owner of Plate BBQ LLC[/LIST]
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2014, 06:59 PM   #2
Dadeo719
is one Smokin' Farker

When I go to the store, I will look at the price by oz. Should be listed on all the prices. So let's say a ketchup bottle cost 3.00 for 30 oz. so that would be 10 cents an oz.. Then you do this with all the products and you should be able to judge how much a bottle of your sauce costs to make. If that makes since.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

I really don't think there's any formula, as there's too many valuables to get a good estimate.

I'd do a couple test runs, take really good notes on everything used and exact quantities, when you're finished you'll need to know exactly how much that batch yielded. And then figure out how much you spent vs how much you got.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:11 AM   #4
air_jar
Found some matches.

Dadeo is on the right track but you have to look at weight vs. fluid ounces. A bottle of ketchup is 10 cents per ounce (weight) but how much does a 1/2 cup (4 fl. oz) of ketchup weigh? I have broken down my sauce recipe cost by ingredient and have an exact cost and it was time consuming...but worth it because now I know.

For instance: I buy Paprika in 5 lb bags for $15.54 each and 1/4 cup weighs 1 oz. There are 80 1/4 cups in the bag costing $0.19 each. Then break down/multiply the 1/4 cup into other portions to get your cost.
air_jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 09-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #5
jakel
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I'm not aware of a specific formula,however, may I suggest:

Cost of liquid ingredients per fluid oz + cost of dry ingredients per oz by weight = cost of product.

If you need to be ultra accurate then you will need to factor in labor, H L P, and bottling/ jarring cost.

Hope this helps
John
jakel is offline   Reply With Quote