MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:34 PM   #1
temptedfate
Got Wood.

Default need help, pricing and qtys for catering appetizers

Doing a male version of a baby shower/pool party for a client with 75-85 guys, and have been requested if i could provide abt's, moinks, pig candy and pigshots along with the main bbq meal. I also have chicken, ribs, pork, mac-n-cheese, slaw, beans and cornbread.

I have no idea how to charge for apps, is it a per peice , per person or per pound.

The event will last 4-5 hrs

Currently i charge per lb for meat and set price for ribs and salads, beans and mac/cheese by the 1/2pan.

Any suggestions

Thank you
temptedfate is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2014, 11:20 PM   #2
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptedfate View Post
Doing a male version of a baby shower/pool party for a client with 75-85 guys, and have been requested if i could provide abt's, moinks, pig candy and pigshots along with the main bbq meal. I also have chicken, ribs, pork, mac-n-cheese, slaw, beans and cornbread.

I have no idea how to charge for apps, is it a per peice , per person or per pound.

The event will last 4-5 hrs

Currently i charge per lb for meat and set price for ribs and salads, beans and mac/cheese by the 1/2pan.

Any suggestions

Thank you
Good question man, that is labor intensive stuff vs just smoking a few butts. Interested with what others have to say here.
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:57 AM   #3
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

You might quote "per tray" or "per platter" for the apps. Each tray/platter could be 20 pieces or whatever number works for you. This way you won't be blamed if the apps are a huge hit and you run out early.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:45 PM   #4
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

Give your customer your prices per tray, for the apps, and let them order the number of trays they desire. This puts them in charge of how much they want to buy. We no longer take catered jobs that ask/require us to decide how much product is "needed".

We had too many issues with customers that did not give us good data, as to actual attendance, to provide adequate product amounts. It is no different from going to the hardware store and telling the clerk to "give me enough nails to build a new house".
Old 07-17-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

I'd do like stated above and price it by the platter with x number pieces per platter and recommend 6-9 bites per person per hour if this will be served in place of a meal if it were me.