Wasabi & Soy pork jerky

PitRow

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I've made a handful of batches of these now and I really like the flavor/heat combo, but I've only done them in the dehydrator. I've been meaning to try them smoked for some time, and I thought I'd try out the new-to-me GMG pellet grill to see how it does as a jerky smoker. Kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Wasabi/Soy pork jerky

• 5 lbs tight trimmed pork loin, sliced for jerky
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup wasabi mustard
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 6.25 grams cure #1 (or per instructions)
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2.5 Tbsp kosher salt
  • 3 Serrano peppers, finely diced
  • 1 Tbsp (or more) freshly ginger paste
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 2 Tbsp hoisin
  • 2 spoonfuls minced garlic
  • sesame seeds (optional)
After trimming I had right around 2.5 pounds of pork, so a perfect half batch. I mixed everything (except the sesame seeds) up in a large ziplock and let it rest in the fridge for 3 days, turning and massaging often.

When it was time to smoke it, I pre-heated the grill to the lowest setting, 150, then placed the unrinsed pork on skewers on the grills expansion rack. The 2.5 pounds fit perfectly.

53587b7ee7314fcd643e08acbe67614e.jpg

29bf53b42ad48b52fe72681a27ba20c1.jpg

Usually I sprinkle on the sesame seeds as it's going in the dehydrator, but I forgot to add them this time. I let it go for about 5 hours. As I kind of figured it would the bottoms got more done than the top, so if I choose to use this again I'll need to figure out something to mitigate that.
1d1b2530c36f3781ba2e74858a84a8ed.jpg

After the 5 hours I removed the rack and took off the pieces that were done. The rest went into the convection oven at 145 to finish a little more.

6f5cf05b1967adc962786e7f0fb15c21.jpg

In all I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I love what the smoke adds to this so I'll definitely be smoking this recipe again. I'm not so sure the GMG is the way to go for jerky, but I kind of expected that. I doubt I'll be using it for jerky again, but the convenience factor is pretty nice. Since my MES died I don't have an "easy" option for smoked jerky.

Anyway, thanks for looking!

I'd hit that!

I've done lots of beef but never pork. I do like Wasabi!

I haven’t had pork jerky. Those make me want to rectify that. Nice!

Wasabi Mustard?
Ive made Wasabi Mustard with Wasabi paste and hot mustard powder.

Wasabi Mustard?
Ive made Wasabi Mustard with Wasabi paste and hot mustard powder.
yeah, I guess mustard is probably not the right term there. It's basically wasabi horseradish, probably doesn't even contain any real wasabi.

D_NQ_NP_864229-MCO52149997893_102022-O.jpg

yeah, I guess mustard is probably not the right term there. It's basically wasabi horseradish, probably doesn't even contain any real wasabi.

D_NQ_NP_864229-MCO52149997893_102022-O.jpg

Yeah i have that brand too. I like their glass jar horseradish, but that stuff is garbage.
These are the brands i have. SB isn't as good as PURE Japanese Wasabi powder, but its nostril burning, especially if you mix with SB hot mustard powder.
Pure wasabi powder is actually more complex and sweet.

20240326-231909.jpg

When you make up from the powder - The more you stir it, the hotter it gets!

Keep stirring!

Back