MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default smoked flank steak

I was given a few packages of flank steak and I am thinking of smoking them to make fajitas - have any of you smoked this cut - any advice?

Also, I have several packs of "steak for swissing" that I don't know how best to cook.
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

According to Alton Brown, flank is best hot and fast. I saw on a show he put the steak directly on the coal after blowing the ash off - 1 minute per side. He did this to take out the element of air causing flame ups when the grease dropped on the coals. I think another method would be to put foil directly on the coals, then putting the flank stake on the foil - but that might block the grilled taste.

Now grant, I've never smoked flank steak or grilled it as I described above, so just an idea.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2009, 11:44 AM   #3
CB
On the road to being a farker

here's an idea - grill hot and fast, let rest and slice - meanwhile add smoke chips to the grill or gasser and place the sliced meat on grate without heat and allow the smoke to "kiss it" or flavor just a bit...say 2 minutes. While not the same as smoked meat but will add a nice flavor to all surfaces
Silver & H2O Smokers
Double Chef Smoker
CB940X Charcoal Grill
The Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer
Big Easy Smoker-Roaster-Grill
Outdoor Stove-Top & Smoker
Rambler on-the-go! grill
CB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
CaptainJimmy
Full Fledged Farker

flank also works well sliced thin, marinated in soy and worcesshire, and skewwered and seared over high heat. I do london broil this way too.

beef on a stick is a big favorite at my house. I sear it maybe 60 seconds a side over 700deg+ grate temp

Old 07-11-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
gotwood
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
According to Alton Brown, flank is best hot and fast. I saw on a show he put the steak directly on the coal after blowing the ash off - 1 minute per side. He did this to take out the element of air causing flame ups when the grease dropped on the coals. I think another method would be to put foil directly on the coals, then putting the flank stake on the foil - but that might block the grilled taste.

Now grant, I've never smoked flank steak or grilled it as I described above, so just an idea.
I dont think that was flank steak........was skirt if my memory doesnt fail me.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html
gotwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2010, 01:07 AM   #6
Drummer12345
Got rid of the matchlight.

For my second attempt at smoking I tried doing a steak using hickory. I put some dry rub on it and olive oil. Total of 3 hours, flipped at an hour and half, followed by about 5 minutes per side on the grill. The steak ended up being pretty dry.
Drummer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2010, 07:23 AM   #7
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

I'd stick with high heat for flank steak. In my opinion, there's not enough fat, and it's too thin for smoking without drying out. I grill them all the time on the BGE and get a nice subtle smoke flavor. You can do the same thing with a kettle. This is the way I do it:

By the way, I never soak my wood except in this case.

Get the fire good and hot. Soak some wood chips for at least 30 minutes. Right before the steaks go on, toss a handful of the chips on the fire, put the steaks on (direct heat) and close the lid. Wait about 1 minute, flip the steak, close the lid and close all the air vents. When the internal temp reaches 130, pull it off, cover and rest for about 10 minutes then slice it very thin.

I use a probe thermometer because with the lid closed, you can't see or feel if the steak is done.
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2010, 07:27 AM   #8
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

What I would do is do a reverse sear on it and smoke it first with some mesquite or wood of your choice indirect then finish it hot and fast. That would get some smoke flavor in it for you. I know Moose has some good carne asada posts where he does this. Or you could just do the whole thing hot and fast. Post some pics of your fajitas they're my favorite

Creator of:
"The Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010"
Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #9
Jay871
Knows what a fatty is.

I would make beef jerky with it. Slice it about a 1/8-1/4 inch thick and smoke it at 150*-175* for 4-5 hrs.
Jay871 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2010, 10:40 AM   #10
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Al Gold View Post
What I would do is do a reverse sear on it and smoke it first with some mesquite or wood of your choice indirect then finish it hot and fast. That would get some smoke flavor in it for you. I know Moose has some good carne asada posts where he does this. Or you could just do the whole thing hot and fast. Post some pics of your fajitas they're my favorite
Yup, that's how I do it too. A good, hot wood fire will give you all the smoke flavor that it needs. And going reverse sear is an even better idea. I need to try that next time.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2010, 10:40 AM   #11
Bacchus
On the road to being a farker

Hot and Fast on the flanks, slice med/thin across the grain. Good Stuff.

As for the "Steak for swissing"?....pound-em out with the bottom of a wine bottle and coook them slow in a Dutch oVen on your grill/smoker or even a crock pot.....braising in gravy or even a can of mushroom soup mix. Serve over Egg noodles. Delish!!!

Old 09-16-2010, 10:42 AM   #12
Fishawn
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay871 View Post
I would make beef jerky with it. Slice it about a 1/8-1/4 inch thick and smoke it at 150*-175* for 4-5 hrs.

Me also.... Flank makes excellent jerky

Old 09-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #13
FattyMac
Full Fledged Farker

I've done all three ways, Hot and Fast, Smoked, Reverse Sear.
Reverse Sear is the way to go, you still get the char and juiciness of Hot and Fast with the smoke/bark flavor of smoked.

Make sure to post Pr0n!

Old 09-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #14
billm
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Head

I make these all the time..I seaosn them up with a little steak seasoning and grill them up direct on the Weber Kettle with a couple chunks of wood thrown on the coals...minutes per side is really based on thickness (keep them medium-medium rare) . I cook them covered and they manage to get plenty of smoke on them in a short amount of time. Slice thin against the grain.
I cant imagine cooking these low and slow as fat on them is pretty non existent

Alveron Cooker
Weber 26.75 inch Kettle & Summit Gold gasser
Cypriot Grill & Optimal Automatics Party Que
http://www.headsredbbq.com
billm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #15
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Flank steak, skirt steak + hot and fast = carne asada :D

1 members found this post helpful.